A must have in cold weather !!!

bellamia

5 Year Member
Woke up this morning to no power !! It's -32 in Ontario !! the temp in the tortoise tank was 53f my house was so COLD I panicked heated up the car wrapped my babies in a tea towel and placed them in a container and drove around for 2 and half hours with the heat blasting, found these hand warmers in a hardware store , you just shake them and they heat up ! I placed them between the tea towel and my babies and can't believe how quickly they heat up ! power is back on now after 5 hours , I gave them a nice warm soak and they seem fine (I hope). My house is still cold but my babies are nice and warm! I will be stocking up on this wonderful product ! ImageUploadedByTortForum1388762693.710684.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388762693.710684.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Every fall I order 40 hour heat packs (the ones for shipping) in case of power outages. I usually always have about a dozen on hand. I'm glad your babies are ok!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Praise the Lord. i lives in Northern California. But I do use those heat pack when I ship tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One word will put all your worries too rest. GENERATOR:D. Ones big enough to run just the tortoise enclosure are not that expensive and will put all worries to rest. Just a thought for those many years your going to have your tortoise, it may be cheaper then buy a bunch of heat packs.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am so very happy all turned out well....I am however stuck on -32, that seems , well, ewwww....

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've posted this in the past, but it bares repeating. If you have a gas oven, it won't be affected by an electric failure. Heat bricks in the oven and place them in with your tortoise for the radiant heat. Make sure your tortoise can't come in contact with the hot brick, bread pan maybe? Water heater tanks stay warm for quite sometime and you could give your tortoise a nice warm soak while waiting for the bricks to warm up.

bellamia

5 Year Member
I don't have gas but good idea for those that do ! And I am better prepared now.
Just my luck it happened on such a cold day GRRRR today is only -8 !!
Feels like spring in comparison! LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's a great idea Ken. I don't think I seen that posted before, or don't remember. My torts will be fine, they generator is for them. I my use that idea for the rest of us who will be cold:D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My idea, stems from my concern of heat packs releasing fumes. I would like for someone to get one going, put it in a sealed jar for 30mins. then, take the cap off and take a deep breath from the jar. We don't have natural gas out here either. We do, though, have a 26 hp generator which is plenty large enough for our needs. Instead of bricks, a person could use rocks as long as the rocks didn't come from a creek. Water can and does get in the fine cracks, and when vaporized, it can have explosive effects.

turtletortoisefarmer

5 Year Member
I just went out and got some hand and feet warmers from the tractor store and I have 20lb bottle of propane gas for my buddy heater. It is suppose to get to 0 degree weather and it is raining right now. Next year I will have a generator. Good luck to any one in the snow storm.