A pair of sulcata rescues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA
So, I got this pair of sulcatas that have been kept in a dog crate for who know how long! They have pyramiding and the larger one has a deformation on his right side. Someone had also painted a star on his shell. They are free in the grazing yard since I got them. I notice they tire quickly, they walk around a bit and rest. Hopefully this gets better as they get more exercise and a healthy diet. They are really timid for sulcatas but seem to have warmed up to us in the week they have been here. I worry a bit that the large one may have trouble as he grows because of his deformation. Poor torts look like they have had a hard life up until now. I have attached pictures of Loanstar to show how bad his shell is. There is also a pic of Yogurt (the other sulcata rescue) and Cruizer (My leopard I rescued in Hawaii, his shell is growing nicely now)

Attachments

• Lonestar.JPG
    Lonestar.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 208
  • lonestarside.JPG
    lonestarside.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 198
  • CruizerandYogurt.JPG
    CruizerandYogurt.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 219

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What's wrong with people, Stacey? How hard is it to look up information on the 'net, or even ASK someone? Poor tortoises.

Metabolic bone disease is quite painful. Plenty of sunshine and a good diet will have them running around that yard in no time.

Those tortoises are lucky you found them.

(Looking at your signature, I see you have a hard time saying - NO!!)

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
Yeah lol! "No" isn't in my vocabulary yet! But only because we have plenty of space and time... and I love critters! I don't know why people don't do more research on pets before they decide to get them. I haven't run into any this bad before and I hope that Lonestar doesn't have any long term problems from his shell being tweaked on the side there. Ut doesn't seem to give him any trouble yet, looks like those 2 peripherals (not sure if that's what to call them?) just didn't grow and caused the whole thing to go all wonky. I sat out with him this morning and he came over and laid on my foot to take a nap. It was soo cool that he came to me that I sat there until he woke and moved lol! He also splays out when he sleeps and the first time I saw it I thought he was dead. Now it's just kinda cute.

richellesworld

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast - Texas
Camirdra said:
So, I got this pair of sulcatas that have been kept in a dog crate for who know how long! They have pyramiding and the larger one has a deformation on his right side. Someone had also painted a star on his shell. They are free in the grazing yard since I got them. I notice they tire quickly, they walk around a bit and rest. Hopefully this gets better as they get more exercise and a healthy diet. They are really timid for sulcatas but seem to have warmed up to us in the week they have been here. I worry a bit that the large one may have trouble as he grows because of his deformation. Poor torts look like they have had a hard life up until now. I have attached pictures of Loanstar to show how bad his shell is. There is also a pic of Yogurt (the other sulcata rescue) and Cruizer (My leopard I rescued in Hawaii, his shell is growing nicely now)

Wow! It annoys me to that people dont care enough to nurish the tortoises and give them the proper care. I am very happy that you are taking care of them now. :)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I think it is horrible that people would treat their animals so meanly. They should research them if they want them and try to do the best they can for them. That being said, how do they get rescued? Do animal workers come and take them away after a tip has been given to them or do the owners drop them off at a shelter and say they can't care for them anymore? I have always wondered how animals are rescued.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Thank goodness you are here to give them a better life!! they must see you as the super hero with a cape sent to rescue them :p

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
This pair was surrendered to my sister. The owner was feeling guilty for not having the space to keep them and willingly gave them up. Not sure how a lot of other rescues happen. I suppose some people look for help, some are forced into surrendering animals and a few simply are abducted from abusive owners. I am glad to have these, I know I can provide them a better life than what they had :)

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
Q said:
Thank goodness you are here to give them a better life!! they must see you as the super hero with a cape sent to rescue them :p

Lol! Now to find a cape....

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well at least they have you now! I hope they end up being just fine, (other then the damage they already have). People that dont care for them proper just drive me insane! Just curious, have you any plans to take them for a vet visit? Best of luck to you and them! :) Im sure they will get proper care now, thank God!

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
cemmons12 said:
Just curious, have you any plans to take them for a vet visit? Best of luck to you and them! :) Im sure they will get proper care now, thank God!

I have been looking for a vet in our area for reptiles and have had no luck. Although I'm not sure what a vet could do for them at this point. They don't seem to be suffering form any bug infestation or respiratory issues. I did think about getting Loanstar scanned to see if he has any internal issues from the shell deformation, just to know whats going on in there.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I just (for peace of mind) like to have mine looked over and to have their poo checked for parasites, specially for rescue's. Its not cheap here in Indiana, but well worth every penny to me at least.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
I suppose a poop check is not a bad idea, vets don't have to be tort experts to send it in for bug testing. Think I may do that with the next poop. These guys don't poop much yet, they just had tiny poops the first couple times, I think they may have gone without food for awhile, they had definitely gone without water. Starting to think the owner was one of those that believed they didn't need water and got it all from their food... Ugh....

*side note~ I think that is the most times I've used the word poop in a post lol!*:p

And I'm lucky enough to have one of those vets that still lets me have an account so I can take my critters in and pay the bill in payments later if need be. It's really helpful and surprisingly hard to find nowadays.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I'm glad they're in a better home now. It makes me happy to see all those pets you rescued!

christina23a

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness how terrible! I don't understand people! I did a ton of research before I got my sulcata and I'm still researching info almost daily! I'm sure they'll be much happier with someone who cares about their well being!

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
Well the vet said they are looking pretty good considering, no bugs in their poo :) He seems to get a kick out of the random animals I bring him lol! They are able to carry their own weight now, although they seem to rest a lot they can get up and walk normally (they were kinda scooting when I got them, They recoup fast!) They poo MUCH more than my leopards do so I have started a tort poo collection spot for compost.... far, far away from the house lol! Lonestar is flagging ( that threw me for a loop the first time I saw it! His dance was the nuttiest thing I had ever seen a tort do!)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well done you! I think personal adoptions are a wonderful and needed service to the animal kingdom. My wife is a certified vet tech and as a result, most of our cats started off as head trauma kittens the size of hamsters.
My torts are rescues as well. When I was very active in the Herpitological community, my favorite were the “mellow, not a biter" snakes taken in. Once they received proper care, they would become all teeth and musking.
As for the “caved in" spot on your rescue, it was hard to tell but is it just a deformed or extra marginal scute? Typically this will happen with a vertibral, or costal scute but I think any scute can have a bizarre growth habit during incubation.
Again, good job you!

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
It looks like the scute just didn't grow at some point and the rest of the shell just kinda warped around it. Lucky you to have a vet in the house! Most of my animals were rescues. I've rehabbed more than I can count and learned alot in the process. The most recent (and fun so far) was a small falcon. That prompted me to go for my falconry license. Now my inlaws want me to go to vet school lol! I'm thinking about it although 34 seems a late start. Not sure of the torts have any pain. They seem really happy and stronger every day. They are starting to show their personalities now, so fun!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
They are thanking you for saving them. For sure.. I was looking on Craigslist here in west valley phoenix, just to see what was out there. Omg! I was so angry. The way these people take care of these torts is unbelievable. I told my husband they should be ashamed of themselves. I just can't look any more. Thank the lord for people like you who can rescue these poor mistreated animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.