A story to share

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
A friend of mine was working by the river the other day and came across an Alligator Snapping turtle! It scared the heck out of him snapping and hissing like mad. It was a couple feet long and mean. Well I guess someone decided he didn't make a good pet so they dumped him. He called fish and wildlife and they came down and told him it was an Alligator snapping turtle and they're not from around here. They took it to Wild life Safari were he is being taken care of, so a happy ending. I guess it goes to show you never know what you'll come across.
Here's a picture of one I got off the Internet. I did get to see pictures of the one he found and it looked bigger.
10gie79.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He was quite a ways from home, with being in Oregon. :)

Danny

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yes he was, It makes you wonder how on earth he got there. I dont think you can buy them, but someone must have gotten ahold of one and thought they would keep it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Infuriating. Why would somebody turn an animal like that loose where it doesn't belong? It just adds fuel to the fire to make more stupid laws that impact the 99% of us that don't do stupid things like that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I of course could be wrong, but I think calif is the only state to outlaw snappers being kept. Much to my eternal sadness.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
TortieGal said:
Yes he was, It makes you wonder how on earth he got there. I dont think you can buy them, but someone must have gotten ahold of one and thought they would keep it.
You can purchase them but the problem is where do you keep a very large ill tempered turtle. I think they should they should be left wild in the rivers and repopulate former range.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
Infuriating. Why would somebody turn an animal like that loose where it doesn't belong? It just adds fuel to the fire to make more stupid laws that impact the 99% of us that don't do stupid things like that.

99% of us don't commit murder, but I don't think the law against it is "stupid".

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
It's very upsetting when people dump unwanted pets. A few years ago an alligator was found in a creek near our home. It was about 4 feet long so I guess it out grew its home. Of course it was dead it couldn't survive here, poor guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.