A Terrible Loss for Me

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm sorry for your loss. KAREN.
I know how caring you seem to be and I'm sure you loved that cat a lot.
I certainly know how it feels to lose a beloved fur friend.
Thank you very much, Ed. It's almost unbearable coming right after my friend's sulcata, Boulder, escaped. That's coming up on 3 weeks, and we haven't found a trace of him since day 3. There's just too much desert to cover, and have no clear idea which direction he went. 🥺

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. Never easy losing a fur baby. Not being able to be there makes it even harder if that's possible. Been there years ago with one of my best dog babies. I sure can feel your pain. Knowing you gave him a great life and lots of love I hope helps.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You might want to post here. Also.
I posted after I lost my dog, Chester and it made me feel a bit better

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
This morning my beloved cat, Sammy, died at the vet's office.😭😭
He had suddenly gone into acute renal failure, and despite IV fluids since Fri, was not able to recover.
View attachment 351095
Sammy was a special cat (as all loved cats are) who had adopted me and Pete nine years ago. He was living under our bus conversion parked next to our house. It took 3 days of feeding him til he decided I was trustworthy enough to come to me and start rubbing and purring. A couple months later he was neutered and moved inside with us.

He was about a year old, and had been a house cat before. He already knew about cat trees, litter boxes, and especially sleeping with, or between, his humans. He became an indoor cat and seemed satisfied with that...oh, occasionally he'd dash out between my feet, but stayed right near the house, and came back in when called.

Sometimes he would sit and stare out the glass door or a window, pondering life I suppose.
View attachment 351094
He was a Maine Coon mix, and true to his breed, he would follow me room to room, walking behind the dogs and crowding the bathroom with warm furry bodies.
View attachment 351092

View attachment 351093

If you came by to visit and sat down, you were rewarded with a 10 lb pile of long-haired feline, who would lovingly knead your legs. But when a red laser dot appeared on the floor, he would jump into action, pouncing, attacking, rolling around...he won the fight over every dot without fail.

Sammy, you died alone in a cage, and for that I will always be sorry. I so much wanted to see you, and hold you and stroke your fur one last time, but it wasn't meant to be.

RIP, my dear Sammy. My solace is that, for sure, you knew that you were loved. 🐈💝

View attachment 351091
I‘m so sorry for your loss. I will be holding you close to my heart.

As an aside, people may want to consider being reincarnated as one of your pets. The way you care for and love your pets, it seems like a pretty amazing gig!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This morning my beloved cat, Sammy, died at the vet's office.😭😭
He had suddenly gone into acute renal failure, and despite IV fluids since Fri, was not able to recover.
View attachment 351095
Sammy was a special cat (as all loved cats are) who had adopted me and Pete nine years ago. He was living under our bus conversion parked next to our house. It took 3 days of feeding him til he decided I was trustworthy enough to come to me and start rubbing and purring. A couple months later he was neutered and moved inside with us.

He was about a year old, and had been a house cat before. He already knew about cat trees, litter boxes, and especially sleeping with, or between, his humans. He became an indoor cat and seemed satisfied with that...oh, occasionally he'd dash out between my feet, but stayed right near the house, and came back in when called.

Sometimes he would sit and stare out the glass door or a window, pondering life I suppose.
View attachment 351094
He was a Maine Coon mix, and true to his breed, he would follow me room to room, walking behind the dogs and crowding the bathroom with warm furry bodies.
View attachment 351092

View attachment 351093

If you came by to visit and sat down, you were rewarded with a 10 lb pile of long-haired feline, who would lovingly knead your legs. But when a red laser dot appeared on the floor, he would jump into action, pouncing, attacking, rolling around...he won the fight over every dot without fail.

Sammy, you died alone in a cage, and for that I will always be sorry. I so much wanted to see you, and hold you and stroke your fur one last time, but it wasn't meant to be.

RIP, my dear Sammy. My solace is that, for sure, you knew that you were loved. 🐈💝

View attachment 351091
I'm so sorry all of you lost your Sammy. But I'm glad he got rescued by you. 🤗 It looks like he had a happy life with you and your family ❤️ I think they usually die alone with renal disease but they go off somewhere outside and hide. He stayed where he felt safe instead. 😘

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So very sorry. Never easy losing a fur baby. Not being able to be there makes it even harder if that's possible. Been there years ago with one of my best dog babies. I sure can feel your pain. Knowing you gave him a great life and lots of love I hope helps.
Thanks, Barb. Yeah, when we met each other, he was a down and out stray, no place to call home, no soft bed, no tasty meal (unless you count desert gophers), and had an abcessed ear to boot.

8 weeks he lived outside, and started jumping the fence to lay on my little kitchen patio, panting from the increasing heat of late spring.

Not long into summer we had him neutered and finally let him in. He walked around the house for a while, found our bed, and curled up to nap. He knew he was home, and never went out wandering again.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I‘m so sorry for your loss. I will be holding you close to my heart.

As an aside, people may want to consider being reincarnated as one of your pets. The way you care for and love your pets, it seems like a pretty amazing gig!
I admit it freely and without guilt...they are my kids. I never had children, so I consider them my babies. They are so innocent and giving, and deserve better than how some people treat them.

My pets know without a doubt that they are loved and respected, and will be cared for as much as I am able.

And you're right...it's a very good gig! :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm so sorry all of you lost your Sammy. But I'm glad he got rescued by you. 🤗 It looks like he had a happy life with you and your family ❤️ I think they usually die alone with renal disease but they go off somewhere outside and hide. He stayed where he felt safe instead. 😘
Thanks, Cathie. He did feel safe, especially after 9 years of living like a prince, waited on and tolerated when he'd be in a nasty mood. He had a look he would give that curdled your blood! 😱p