Sulcata sleeping for days!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
Good afternoon TFO, not too worried but have a question. My Sammy is 6yrs. old, he live in my house most of the time. Over the colder mouths of winter he has a habit of sleeping for days, today is his 4th day. He has a hole room to wonder around, his hide is always temperature and humidity controlled. He has a basking area and UV lighting. He does not act or look sick, he just don't wants to be bothered. When I drag him out of his hide Sammy will snort and kick to get back in his hide. When he decided to come out, he eats alot and gets a good soaking. Poo, urine and urate look normal. Is this normal for a Sulcata to sleep for days at a time. I believe Sammy can since the different in the weather outside, Baltimore is going threw a cold spell. I wish that I could sleep for days.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Good afternoon TFO, not too worried but have a question. My Sammy is 6yrs. old, he live in my house most of the time. Over the colder mouths of winter he has a habit of sleeping for days, today is his 4th day. He has a hole room to wonder around, his hide is always temperature and humidity controlled. He has a basking area and UV lighting. He does not act or look sick, he just don't wants to be bothered. When I drag him out of his hide Sammy will snort and kick to get back in his hide. When he decided to come out, he eats alot and gets a good soaking. Poo, urine and urate look normal. Is this normal for a Sulcata to sleep for days at a time. I believe Sammy can since the different in the weather outside, Baltimore is going threw a cold spell. I wish that I could sleep for days.
It does not sound like normal sulcata behavior to me. For 6 years I kept 4 adult sulcatas in CT which has an even colder climate than Baltimore, and they were active almost constantly, even through the winters.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just a thought... but are you able to use a temperature gun to measure the Temps at the floor level? I run across quite a few folks who keep the room temp at 75F and find out the floor temp is quite a bit less. Thinking it might be too cold.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It's not common but I have seen this behavior over the years with my sulcatas. What's different is our setups, my live outside and each have their own heated house. Last night we got down into the 20s but the houses stayed in the 80s and 90s depending on where the temperature sending units are placed. The higher in the house the higher the temperature will read.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. Sounds like he is too cold. Its not enough to just warm the hide. His entire area needs to be 80 or higher. At floor level where the tortoise is.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I believe it is to cold in his room, I just took a temperature reading on the floor. It's reading around 73 degrees, it's a room with a concrete floor with tiles. I keep my house temperature
"gas heat" at 76 degrees, I have a space heater in Sammy's room set at 75 degrees but the room temperature is reading 81 degrees. I just turned his room heater up, will check the temperature in the morning. My wife will be complaining how hot it will be when she has to go threw Sammy's room to do laundry, my wife is always feeling hot, I'm always feeling cold. Will be getting Sammy's up in the morning for a nice warm soaking. Thanks for all you help, will keep you informed.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I believe it is to cold in his room, I just took a temperature reading on the floor. It's reading around 73 degrees, it's a room with a concrete floor with tiles. I keep my house temperature
"gas heat" at 76 degrees, I have a space heater in Sammy's room set at 75 degrees but the room temperature is reading 81 degrees. I just turned his room heater up, will check the temperature in the morning. My wife will be complaining how hot it will be when she has to go threw Sammy's room to do laundry, my wife is always feeling hot, I'm always feeling cold. Will be getting Sammy's up in the morning for a nice warm soaking. Thanks for all you help, will keep you informed.
Is his hide the same temperature as the room or is heated to a warmer temperature?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Is his hide the same temperature as the room or is heated to a warmer temperature?
His hide has it own radiant heat panal set on 88 degrees, humidity set between 70% to 99%. I have a new large Kane heat mat I bought last year that I will be sitting on the floor in his room, I will set it to heat up to around 85 degrees. I will let you know if he will use it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
His hide has it own radiant heat panal set on 88 degrees, humidity set between 70% to 99%. I have a new large Kane heat mat I bought last year that I will be sitting on the floor in his room, I will set it to heat up to around 85 degrees. I will let you know if he will use it.
The reason I asked is as long as his hide is warm enough I see no reason to heat the whole room to 80F plus. Here's Donald yesterday KIMG2889.JPGand this is Walker today KIMG2898.JPGThey both are out eating in mid 40s degree temperatures. So they do come out to eat and wander around in cooler temps and then return to their heated house (hide). Sammy may just not be hungry.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
The reason I asked is as long as his hide is warm enough I see no reason to heat the whole room to 80F plus. Here's Donald yesterday View attachment 364838and this is Walker today View attachment 364839They both are out eating in mid 40s degree temperatures. So they do come out to eat and wander around in cooler temps and then return to their heated house (hide). Sammy may just not be hungry.
Sammy just wants to peek out or hand halfway out for hour just looking around.

Attachments

• 20230715_165636.jpg
    20230715_165636.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240103_230535_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_230535_Gallery.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240103_230517_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_230517_Gallery.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...my wife is always feeling hot, I'm always feeling cold.
That's funny. Its usually the other way around with most couples. My wife and I are the same as you guys. She's always hot and I'm always cold. Our biggest fights are always over the AC in summer. The damn weather finally warms up and she wants to make me cold in my own house. She tells me to put on a sweater in summer. I tell her to take off her shirt and strip down to a bikini. That's why we have a pool. To cool off in summer.

ryan57

PA
Just read the whole thread. Gosh, I feel for Sammy. This made me investigate my temps through the past week as documented in photos. Stump was put outside today in the sun for 2.5 hours because of bugging the hell out of us, banging the door, turning his container of small colored balls over, ramming Kathleen's desk, etc. but the temperature was 50 degrees outside. Like you, I have noticed that these guys will sleep for days with little activity other than eating and drinking if you let them.

Today he drank a measured 19oz of water this morning. It took him over 4 minutes of his face being in the water.

Made this crappy video of what he does and the temperatures. I would say his daily average is 85deg core temperature throughout the day mostly because where he sleeps it is about 86-88 degrees for 16-18 hours a day.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Just read the whole thread. Gosh, I feel for Sammy. This made me investigate my temps through the past week as documented in photos. Stump was put outside today in the sun for 2.5 hours because of bugging the hell out of us, banging the door, turning his container of small colored balls over, ramming Kathleen's desk, etc. but the temperature was 50 degrees outside. Like you, I have noticed that these guys will sleep for days with little activity other than eating and drinking if you let them.

Today he drank a measured 19oz of water this morning. It took him over 4 minutes of his face being in the water.

Made this crappy video of what he does and the temperatures. I would say his daily average is 85deg core temperature throughout the day mostly because where he sleeps it is about 86-88 degrees for 16-18 hours a day.
I like his sweater.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Good evening TFO, just wanted to update you on Sammy. With the room heater turned up Sammy was very active in his hide starting around 8:00 am. this morning. The floor temperature is up to 75 degrees. Around 12:00 pm. I had to drag him out of his hide, he had some Mazuri LS and than a good 45 min. soaking. After soaking he ate alot of different greens for a couple of hrs. He is acting normal. My only concern now is that when I cleaned his hide, there was very little Poo after 4 days. While he was in soaking he only urinated and now with all he ate today, I hoping he will pass a load of Poo tomorrow. Didn't ever thing I would be wishing to see a load of 💩 💩 💩 to clean up!
Will let you know if he give me a gift.

ryan57

PA
I like his sweater.
Cool! I figured I would be shunned around here because it's not authentic tortoisewear and could cause impaction. Lol.
61KDdwPyMOL._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BGXLBZ9/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I picked one of these up at Tractor Supply as I noticed that it would still stretch to fit him and it has thinsulate insulation. I cut above where the opening is and sewed up the end. As you can see it doesn't obstruct his walking or other functions at all which is awesome. When he's bigger I'll find someone to make a bigger version. When it's really colder I'll put on the puffy dog coat from Costco over this. It works really good and stays really secure and most importantly, an apple tag is sewn into it.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Cool! I figured I would be shunned around here because it's not authentic tortoisewear and could cause impaction. Lol.
61KDdwPyMOL._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BGXLBZ9/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I picked one of these up at Tractor Supply as I noticed that it would still stretch to fit him and it has thinsulate insulation. I cut above where the opening is and sewed up the end. As you can see it doesn't obstruct his walking or other functions at all which is awesome. When he's bigger I'll find someone to make a bigger version. When it's really colder I'll put on the puffy dog coat from Costco over this. It works really good and stays really secure and most importantly, an apple tag is sewn into it.
This made me wonder about those horse blankets people use in cold weather and figured there was someone on etsy or someplace making tortoise blankets somewhere lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't make their own heat, so a sweater does nothing for him. In fact, it may keep him insulated from the heat of the night house. They need the heat to touch their shell in order to absorb it.

ryan57

PA
Tortoises don't make their own heat,
Kind of correct. When the fermentation of grass occurs in their digestive system it acts as a compost heap does. Compost generates a little heat.
so a sweater does nothing for him.
Incorrect. The purpose of thinsulate is to maintain heat.
In fact, it may keep him insulated from the heat of the night house.
Correct. That is why it is used outside only.
They need the heat to touch their shell in order to absorb it.
Yes. Seems that once they are 20lbs or so, they maintain heat much longer. Has to do with mass and BTU of the difference in temperature minus the amount of sun.

I've taken the measurements. If ambient outdoor temperature is in the 50's in the sun and Stump goes outside his carapace starts at between 87 and 92 degrees. Depending on the amount of sun and wearing black the carapace temp is between 81 and 83 30-45 minutes later. Then he usually warms up in the greenhouse when set up or at the dryer vent. Once back up to 90 or so, goes back into the yard or to the mat. (as seen in the video)

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Good afternoon TFO, Sammy was up, digging and pushing mulch out of his hide around 10:00am. Sammy didn't disappoint me, he left me with a load of Poo and urates in his hide. I was able to clean most up but Sammy doesn't want to come out of his hide at this time, maybe later.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Good afternoon TFO, Sammy was up, digging and pushing mulch out of his hide around 10:00am. Sammy didn't disappoint me, he left me with a load of Poo and urates in his hide. I was able to clean most up but Sammy doesn't want to come out of his hide at this time, maybe later.
Sounds good. Congrats.