Abnormal Shell

effster

Location (City and/or State)
qatar
Hi, I recently received a pet turtle as a gift and I noticed that his shell looked abnormal. I tried looking up what it was but i wasn’t successful. BD0B3F45-ED5A-460F-AE9C-5314D59EC862.jpeg198F798D-5339-4F18-94B5-F25B15DC9EA5.jpeg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It has been through the wars . Shell looks dry and the damaged area either bitten or dropped. Please read the care sheets and provide a nice environment for your pet. He needs hydration with regular shallow water soaks, fresh leaf diet and correct heat and light with calcium to help with strong shell growth. I know your in a hot country so ensure air conditioning is kept away from him.
I would get some coconut oil on the shell and damaged area to help moisturise. Ask questions as you need.

effster

qatar
It has been through the wars . Shell looks dry and the damaged area either bitten or dropped. Please read the care sheets and provide a nice environment for your pet. He needs hydration with regular shallow water soaks, fresh leaf diet and correct heat and light with calcium to help with strong shell growth. I know your in a hot country so ensure air conditioning is kept away from him.
I would get some coconut oil on the shell and damaged area to help moisturise. Ask questions as you need.
Thank you for replying and informing me about that! I currently have him in a large tank with bedding (will attach a picture of it) and I’ve been feeding him large pieces of lettuce. I’ve also just ordered a heat lamp to attach it to the tank. I was also wondering if i can keep him outdoors? the temperature here is currently around 30°C and it’s a bit windy. Also do I keep feeding him lettuce? or do I need to give him something else?5F01ECC2-6BB2-41B6-9577-244C2EE71EC7.jpeg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Lettuce is not very nutritious, can you read this tortoise table plant database
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ to see if you recognise any local plants. Hibiscus flower and leaves could be available to you amongst others. You could also visit a local food market to see what is available.
Please buy 2 x flat dsh similar to this picture I use plastic for water and terracotta for food as it helps their beak trimming. Food and fresh water am left in all day and remove food at 18.00 and replenish the fresh water.
Outside is a great idea if you have room. You can arrange bricks in an oblong but you need to have a sunny and shady side with water and food provided when he goes in there. These tortoise can be good at climbing and escaping so ensure it is secure.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Dish example

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_174519_8.jpg
    IMG_20211121_174519_8.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's been chewed on. It doesn't look fresh. Probably nothing to worry about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A tank is not big enough and that's not proper substrate.
Post more pics of the tort and the enclosure you do have so we can better help you. Hes already had a ruff life by the looks of the bit we can see. Let's get him set up right for a good life.