? About veterinarian Recommendation

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
We took Juggalo to the vet 2 weeks ago he was given a clean bill of health besides his neck pealing. The Vet told us to bring him back in two weeks if he hasn't gain at least 20g and they will have to do blood work. well we are on week 2 and he didn't gain 20g. What blood work do you think they are going to do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can I ask why you took him to the vet in the first place? Have you got concerns?

Personally, as long as the tort is active, eating and gaining weight then I would save the money as you don't need a vet. At that size, a poop can weigh 20 grammes and make a massive difference!

Weigh fortnightly at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency - straight after a morning soak is good.

You're looking for a steady upward trend, but remember that torts go through growth spurts and sometimes there will be little or no gain.

Nisi

New York
We bought Juggalo on July 8th 2016 he was delivered to us at the weight of 33g as of Wednesday last week he weights 35g. I took him to the vet because I was scared he has something wrong with him so they did culture of his poop and he had a healthy amount of parasites. The vet told me if he didn't start gaining weight to bring him back for a blood test. Not sure what kind I have a phone call back into the vet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We took Juggalo to the vet 2 weeks ago he was given a clean bill of health besides his neck pealing. The Vet told us to bring him back in two weeks if he hasn't gain at least 20g and they will have to do blood work. well we are on week 2 and he didn't gain 20g. What blood work do you think they are going to do?

Is the tort acting fine..eating, active and clear eyed? If so I would not continue to traumatize the littlenone with repeated car rides and l poking and stress...I mean, there are not two torts that grow the same speed..what are you feeding him? How excited is the tort for the food you are offering..to me a vet that says to bring a reptile back in a couple of weeks for blood tests if a set amount of weight is not gained is not very experienced with tortoise...as mentioned, a poop or pee can change the weight alone...neck peeling? Do you mean shedding? That is totally normal as well...please be careful with vet trips, no vitamin injections and please don't just assume that all vets know what they are doing when it comes to tortoise...reptiles, most of them do not...

Nisi

New York
He's a good eater and active. His neck did shed. Sorry wrong choice of words. She is concerned since I have only had a couple grams since he was purchased. I don't know his hatch weight since the breeders grams scale was broken. If he is eating and happy and active and not gaining weight I shouldn't worry?

Nisi

New York
The vet called me back she is a well know reptile vet here in Rochester NY. She is recommending a reptile Panal to check for infection and organ issue and a list more I am going to google.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Shedding skin is completely normal.

You do it in tiny little bits that become house dust. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Tortoises do it in patches and look downright tatty at times.

It is nothing to worry about and needs no moisturiser or vet visit. The loose dead skin rubs off as your tort goes about its business.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
trying to picture the size of a 35 gram tortoise , that's like an ounce ? that's pretty small . i'd be concerned with somebody telling me their gonna draw blood from it ? i wouldn't think the veins and arteries would be much bigger than a fine needle ? maybe because i've never seen such a thing done before , but i'd be impressed with the skill and instruments required for such an undertaking . i agree with the others , if it's eating and growing at all , i'd leave it alone .......i personally think most die from respiratory infections , which are pretty obvious , and if caught in time require nothing more than antibiotics and better husbandry .......jmo

Nisi

New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475519869.397045.jpg

Yeah he's pretty small that's why I asked in this thread to get more information. You do hear horror stories about vets and tortoise

Nisi

New York
From my understanding my enclosure is good I'll post pics ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475523238.231684.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475523259.439671.jpg

Hot spot is 98-100 depending on before mist or after mist. Left side by hide is 86 in the middle is 82 I was told to bump up his other side high 80's. Humidity is 84- 90 depending on when it was first misted I listed in am and when I get home never below 80.

I ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475523424.109766.jpg

I attached a pic of his lights.. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. He doesn't eat Mazuri and I was told not to worry about that. He eats Rodichhio and kale, dandelion, Romain, endive. I have him right now at my friends house since we went camping he breeds leopards. So I will get him tonight see what his weight is

Nisi

New York
And I give him grass from my parents yard since they don't treat it

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'd skip the blood work from a vet.

Based on it's size and lack of weight gain I wonder how this baby was started. The first days/weeks out of the egg make a tremendous difference in their health and growth. I've seen first hand that newly hatched leopards kept warm and well hydrated grow very fast. I've also seen newly hatched leopards be placed outdoors all day or housed in open top, dry enclosures barely grow at all and then die...or stay very small for a loooong time.

My recommendation: continue to provide good care, a good diet, warm temperatures and adequate hydration.
If your baby doesn't gain weight just keep on keeping on. 1 of 2 things will happen. Wither the baby will eventually make the 100 gram hurdle and you'll enjoy a tiny leopard for a long time..or..the baby will eventually go over the rainbow bridge at no fault of your own. This case would be the "ticking time bomb" Tom often refers to.

Nisi

New York
Makes me sad. This is my sec hatchling the first one was started off dry. Thank you for the advice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll throw in my two cents also. Don't go back to the vet unless there's a medical problem.

My first thought when I looked at your enclosure was, "I wonder if setting a pot of water in there would add more humidity"

If your baby is eating and occasionally wandering around the habitat, I'd assume he's getting along ok and doesn't need to go see the doctor.

You might set a couple potted plants around in that habitat...just something to give the baby a more secure feel.

I've never used two different types of UVB bulb at the same time, so I can't really speak to that, but I wonder if you really need the tube bulb???

Nisi

New York
I'll throw in my two cents also. Don't go back to the vet unless there's a medical problem.

My first thought when I looked at your enclosure was, "I wonder if setting a pot of water in there would add more humidity"

If your baby is eating and occasionally wandering around the habitat, I'd assume he's getting along ok and doesn't need to go see the doctor.

You might set a couple potted plants around in that habitat...just something to give the baby a more secure feel.

I've never used two different types of UVB bulb at the same time, so I can't really speak to that, but I wonder if you really need the tube bulb

My humidity is around 84-90 should it be more? I was thinking about getting a fogger I seen on here some folks use them? Would you recommend I get rid of the tube bulb or the powersun bulb? And replace the power sun bulb with a flood bulb < I think that is what Tom's care sheet said I can't remember with out looking back at it. I only brought him to the vets to check for parasite. He's eats and wonders and looks around I just read on here about weight gain and I am a little neurotic to be honest and this is my sec go around I don't want this little guy to die.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Makes me sad. This is my sec hatchling the first one was started off dry. Thank you for the advice

I'm sorry.

What sources are you getting the leopard babies from?

Should you (or anyone reading) ever want to get a leopard hatchling that is started properly I'd recommend:
@Yvonne G / @Will
@Elohi
@Jodie
@Greg T
..to name a few

Nisi

New York
We got him from tortoisesupply. I have heard great things about him. I almost bought one from Jodie I know for sure hers are started in chambers.. I am kicking my self in the butt over that.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
@Neal starts his off "properly" too...just throwin' that out there.

20 grams in 2 weeks is a a subjective target. Hatchlings from my larger adults would make that goal, but certainly not hatchlings from my smaller adults. Assuming you don't have any information about the tortoises that produced this one, I wouldn't worry too much that your tortoise did not hit that target.

That said though you should see more growth than what you are seeing. Copied from one of your posts above: "He eats Rodichhio and kale, dandelion, Romain, endive." Is this all the foods you are offering him? How often are you feeding him? Perhaps you've answered those questions in another thread, but please remind me if that's the case.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My humidity is around 84-90 should it be more? I was thinking about getting a fogger I seen on here some folks use them? Would you recommend I get rid of the tube bulb or the powersun bulb? And replace the power sun bulb with a flood bulb < I think that is what Tom's care sheet said I can't remember with out looking back at it. I only brought him to the vets to check for parasite. He's eats and wonders and looks around I just read on here about weight gain and I am a little neurotic to be honest and this is my sec go around I don't want this little guy to die.

I really don't see a need for the tube bulb. You get UVB plus heat from the other bulb and that's all you need. Your humidity sounds good.