Juggalo's Growth

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Juggalo went to the Vet last Tuesday for ? URI and no weightth gain. I had seen a bubble come out of his nose, just one. Not sure if he just got down drinking but off to the vet we went. The vet put him on 10 days of Antibiotic after 3 days of antibiotic he gained 2g. Today marking 1 week he has gained 4 grams. Juggalo is now 40g... I am very happy about this but also scratching my head. Could he of had a infection or bug of some sort that wasn't allowing him to grow? Silly question I guess. I guess I am not sold on he doesn't eat Mazuri and that's why he isn't gaining or growing at he fast pace. What are your guys thoughts? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479871269.623548.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479871287.267676.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say. He could have had something. Then again, not, one bubble isn't a cause for a vet visit and some are just slow growers.

Last edited:

Nisi

New York
It's had to say. He could have had something. Then again, not, one bubble isn't a cause for a vet visit and some are just slow growers.

I just rather be safe then sorry. I am lucky the vet is right by my house. I thought it wouldn't hurt to get him checked out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just rather be safe then sorry. I am lucky the vet is right by my house. I thought it wouldn't hurt to get him checked out.
If your vet has good knowledge of tortoises it doesn't hurt to get them checked out when there's a concern. However, so many, even reptile vets, don't have enough knowledge of tortoises and they can and have hurt them. Some still give out bad outdated care info. So far your tort sounds like it's doing better then it has, so hopefully you have a good one

Nisi

New York
If your vet has good knowledge of tortoises it doesn't hurt to get them checked out when there's a concern. However, so many, even reptile vets, don't have enough knowledge of tortoises and they can and have hurt them. Some still give out bad outdated care info. So far your tort sounds like it's doing better then it has, so hopefully you have a good one

She is a very well known reptile Vet here in Rochester,NY. I have heard wonderful things about her. So fingers and toes are crossed.

Kasia

Poland
Juggalo went to the Vet last Tuesday for ? URI and no weightth gain. I had seen a bubble come out of his nose, just one. Not sure if he just got down drinking but off to the vet we went. The vet put him on 10 days of Antibiotic after 3 days of antibiotic he gained 2g. Today marking 1 week he has gained 4 grams. Juggalo is now 40g... I am very happy about this but also scratching my head. Could he of had a infection or bug of some sort that wasn't allowing him to grow? Silly question I guess. I guess I am not sold on he doesn't eat Mazuri and that's why he isn't gaining or growing at he fast pace. What are your guys thoughts? View attachment 192884View attachment 192885
Parasites can mirror URI symptomes, go and get his poop examined if your worried or his an import (internal parasites will inhibit growth), Good luck :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully pretty baby.

Nisi

New York
Parasites can mirror URI symptomes, go and get his poop examined if your worried or his an import (internal parasites will inhibit growth), Good luck :)
I had his poop checked over a month ago he was all good. That's why I scratch my head not sure why he doesn't grow. I find it weird since he had the antibiotic that he's up 4 grams in a week.. I got him at 33g in July and he only went up 3 grams maybe Mr. Juggalo is a dwarf.

Nisi

New York
What's an import? I missed that sorry

Kasia

Poland
I had his poop checked over a month ago he was all good. That's why I scratch my head not sure why he doesn't grow. I find it weird since he had the antibiotic that he's up 4 grams in a week.. I got him at 33g in July and he only went up 3 grams maybe Mr. Juggalo is a dwarf.
Some protozoa are detected only in a fresh stool sample ( not more than a day long, not refrigerated), was your fresh enough? Forgive me if l go into details — what's the stool consistency is it solid or runny? Does it smell much?:)

Nisi

New York
Some protozoa are detected only in a fresh stool sample ( not more than a day long, not refrigerated), was your fresh enough? Forgive me if l go into details — what's the stool consistency is it solid or runny? Does it smell much?:)

He pooped right at the vet, it was in deed diarrhea. I can't say I smelled it though.

Kasia

Poland
He pooped right at the vet, it was in deed diarrhea. I can't say I smelled it though.
Can't get fresher though...:) probably was a bit stressed, lil guy... I keep my fingers crossed for him to catch up some weight in the near future :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A beautiful leopard.:)
What are you feeding him and in what quantity ?
Maybe it's the diet that is restricting growth ?

Nisi

New York
A beautiful leopard.:)
What are you feeding him and in what quantity ?
Maybe it's the diet that is restricting growth ?

He gets radicchio,endive, spring mix, alfalfa, sprouts, Kayle, turnips, mustard greens, I grew mixed grass in his enclosure. He also gets dandelion. He will not eat Mazuri puts his nose right up. And he will starve him self..