Active Leopard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff

5 Year Member
This question has probably been asked multiple times, but I will ask it again. Our Leopard, who is around a year old, has suddenly become very very active. Inside she lives in a zoo med tortoise house and roams our enclosed yard for a couple hours a day(we are in Orange County California). Lately inside or out she is walking constantly. I assume it's normal for them to become more active in the summer. But she's moving her food and water dishes around her enclosure and trying to climb the log hide. This is new behavior. Is it time for a bigger enclosure maybe? ImageUploadedByTortForum1375132307.896138.jpgHer diet is the same whatever weeds and grasses she eats outside and kale, escarole, endive, and dandelion greens. Occasionally she gets some cucumber. Thanks in advance for any advice
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375132341.076533.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would suggest a bigger home. Those zoomed tort houses aren't really the best size for anything over a couple inches. Just not big enough to make an interesting enclosure for you tort. You could try adding onto it. Also, get him outside for longer periods. All day, if you can build a safe enclosure for him out there.

Duff

5 Year Member
That's what I thought. It's time for a bigger enclosure. It's funny how worried I get when she's not active, but when she's hyperactive it's the same. Thanks for the reply.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It doesn't really get any better with their age or growth either. Mine is 2 1/2 and he just started pacing outside. Not eating as much either. Kept checking him out all day, trying to get him to eat something. Then I let him be, back in his outdoor pen, where he lives now 24/7 and he started grazing. I guess I worried a little too soon.
I am happy he's outside now, but it makes the worrying even worse. So, get used too it, it's part of life now:D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
They are all different, but sounds like you have a walker there. Two of mine prefer to hide most of the day escept when grazing, but my male will walk miles around my yard all day long. Some are just more active than others I guess. :)

Duff

5 Year Member
I guess so. She does laps around the yard as long as she's out. How big is the space your tort is in?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Mine free roam the entire backyard. The two females have their territory in opposite corners and the male pretty much roams everywhere, but claims the patio as his because that is where the Food God shows up each day with goodies. He will push the females off the patio if they come too close. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.