Question for Leopard owners in So Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff

5 Year Member
Hi. I have a Leo that's 4-5 months old, and weighs 100 grams. We have her in a ZooMed Tortoise table with an mvb bulb and che heat at night. She gets soaked daily and has a voracious appetite. She's eating escarole, dandelion greens, kale, and endive. She gets a sprinkle of Reptivite a couple times a week. And now that it's warm we have her (I'm calling it her because my kids named her Shelly) outside at least an hour a day. While she's out she's grazing on the grass and weeds in the yard, mainly clover.
Now that its warmed up I'd like to let her be outside as much as possible. I can't spend hours everyday watching her so I'm going to build an enclosure for her.
My question is, how long at this age and weight should I have her outside and at what times? We're in Orange County about a mile and a half from the beach. So it's not warm until late morning.
Thanks for any advice. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364590940.961305.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364590956.540547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have my baby pens in protected areas that get sunshine but no wind. As soon as the weather starts to warm up in the 70's the babies go outside and stay out until evening. I always bring them in at night for their protection.

arbrod13

10 Year Member!
Orange County CA
I also live in Orange County not too far from the beach. I put mine outside when it is warm enough and leave them out for several hours at a time. My torts are two years old now and have them in a penned-in (using bricks and wood boards) half shaded, half sunny area in my back yard. I also have a little hide house and water bowl for them.

I don't put mine out early in the morning either, it's just not warm enough until after 10am or so. Then we bring them back inside in the evening.

Duff

5 Year Member
Thanks, that was along the lines of what I have planned. The area is bordered on two sides by a 6 foot fence, so that should block the wind. I was going to cover the top with wire. Ill put some shade and hide structures in as well. So until it gets consistently warmer. Is it ok for her to be out in the warmer hours of the day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as the enclosure has some shade at all times, some sun at all times, a shallow water bowl like a terra cotta plant saucer, some cover and decorations, hopefully some plants and weeds growing, outside is great. I like to soak mine on the way in for the night. I judge the temperature by the "t-shirt" standard. If I'm okay in a t-shirt and it's sunny, I feel okay about putting them outside.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
On good weather days My leopard goes out after 10 am or so and comes in around 5 pm. His pen is heavily planted and he has sun and shade at all times.

When he comes in i keep him in a humid closed chamber.

Duff

5 Year Member
After reading various posts and these replies I feel pretty confident. Thanks for relating your experience. We got the tortoise from a pet shop that had her in a small aquarium with 3 other kinds of tortoises, a coil bulb, and no water. The information they gave us was so antiquated and bad that I'm surprised their animals survive at all. I appreciate the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.