Leopard Tortoise problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb1234

5 Year Member
Hi all,

i am not sure who can i go to regrading the this particular of mind .

i have 2 leopard tortoise. One is very active. Another one is not that quick
active.

She first smell the food, bite a bit. After that walk from food dish.And then go back into the hide box

When i put her outside she will not stop eating the grass on the floor. And wonder off.

when inside the enclosure she will just sleep all the time. When i pick her up she will open her eyes.She still borrow into the sand

Does this mean she does not like the indoor?

Here is the picture of the enclosure
just in case anyone wonder

View attachment 29192

Last edited by a moderator:

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
It seems like she likes being in a more natural environment. You can plant grass and put plants in your enclosure and set your enclosure near a window for some early morning or evening sun. But letting them spend time in an outdoor enclosure would be the best.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Keeping torts in an aquarium is not preferred because it is difficult to control temperatures well. You didn't say what the temperatures are inside your enclosure. having the temperature too hot or cold will affect the torts activity. The behavior isn't too abnormal given the enclosure you have. I believe they are simply bored. Try the previous suggestion of planting some grass or plants in there to liven it up some. You will also need a larger enclosure in the near future as they grow bigger. The best thing is to give them as much outdoor time as possible, especially since they seem to enjoy it so much.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would keep an eye on the one that retreats while in the enclosure vs outdoors....your tort may be experiencing some bullying while indoors due to the smaller area vs the great outdoors....I would add some plants (either real or silk plants) and add some to each side of the enclosure --this will allow the torts to get out of one another's line of sight....I also would plan a larger enclosure and/or to build two so each has their own...just what I would do :D

caleb1234

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would keep an eye on the one that retreats while in the enclosure vs outdoors....your tort may be experiencing some bullying while indoors due to the smaller area vs the great outdoors....I would add some plants (either real or silk plants) and add some to each side of the enclosure --this will allow the torts to get out of one another's line of sight....I also would plan a larger enclosure and/or to build two so each has their own...just what I would do :D

Yess, you are right, i have obsever them closely. The smaller tortoise is being bully by the big tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.