Adopting an unwanted baby Sulcie today

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
I couldn't not respond to an ad on Craigslist I saw last night. The woman bought a baby sulcata for her little kid, and sure enough he got uninterested. She has him in a ten gallon glass aquarium with pine shavings feeding him tort kibble. No UVB light, just basking light. She wants 125$ for all of it. Idc is its a good deal or not, people like that just want as much money back as possible. I am getting him today. He is my first sulcata, I also have a Russian tort. I know they have different care needs, so please give me all the time tested advice you have to raise this baby monster tort healthily!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
You can start by reading Tom's post on tortoise care. Search for him and you'll see all his posts. In the meantime, can you fill in some details like where do you plan to keep him? What are the temps (basking, hide,cool, ambivalent). What do you plan to feed him, a d do you have a mercury vapor bulb for UVb? Do you have a CHE for evening heat?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Toms threads sibi talks about are listed below in my post. Even the leopard thread will pertain to a sulcata. Get him started right away on giving him a nice long, 30 minute warm soak, some good food and warm temps and humdity and of course some UVB. He may pyramid some, if he has t already, due to his poor start, but it will start to grow in smooth If raised like in Toms threads. Good luck. Don't forget pics.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
Ok I read Tom's posts and it is very doable!
I still don't have the tort in my possession, the lady is being very lazy with returning emails. So I am making plans for when I pick him up.
First on my list (besides sexing the poor kiddo) was to give him a soak, actually! So I can determine his hydration level and get him started on the path to health.
I live in Oklahoma where the weather is different just about every day. Yesterday it was in the 40's, today it is 71 and sunny! Days like today, 70 and up, would those be good for the tort to be outside? I'm not talking about putting him out and not paying him any attention, but for an hour or 2 per day, supervised, like Tom suggested. If I get him today before the sun sets, I will give him some outdoor time. When is it too hot/cold for the sulcie to be outside?
Tom mentioned that he likes glass enclosures for the humidity. And when the tort is inside, would a glass aquarium be ok? I have a 20 gal that my bearded dragon outgrew. I have storage tubs for when he grows larger. The sulcie is a baby, I've only seen pictures but he isn't very old. He looks smallish in the 10 gal she has him in. I would use coco coir kept damp for the humidity, have a hide in the enclosure, and plant some grass seeds. My backyard naturally has Bermuda grass so the outdoor feeding is taken care of.
My house stays around 75degrees F so the ambient temp is set. I will provide some smooth flat rocks to help with basking under the light.

Did I miss anything? I have a ton of thoughts running through my head right now!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Good luck getting him. If you follow Tom's suggestions you will have one happy baby.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Just remember, if the weather is sunny, the temp should be 75+ otherwise it would be too cold for him to enjoy the outside space. Always provide shade for your tort to retreat to if it should get too hot. Also, access to water is a must. One other thing, the 20 gal tank is really to small for your tort. Even as hatchlings, babies need 40-50 gal size enclosures. Since they grow out of it so fast, I would recommend getting a 50 gal plastic container with a lid. You can still maintain good humidity levels if you cover the container 3/4 way with the lid. Best to you both.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi! Just wondering if you were able to pick him up yet? Please let us know and show pics if you can!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah, did you get the poor baby? I hate hearing about people buying a tort of any kind for their kid, just shows when a kid boohoo's for something in this day and age, the parents dont know how to say no! Thats why kids are so much different then us older folks!

StellaRT

5 Year Member
I still don't have the tort.
The woman "replies via iPhone" to my emails but can only muster a reply every so often apparently. I emailed her last night and this morning about picking him up, no reply. She seems to want me to pick him up in her town which is about 75 miles away for me. She wants $125 for the tort, his enclosure, and light. To compensate for gas and room for bargaining, I offered her 90. I anticipate she will counteroffer but I hope to be around 110.
I even gave her my phone number and said I have unlimited texting. She told me yesterday that her kids get out of school at 3:15pm CST Monday, which was over half an hour ago. No reply.
She seems very flaky and I am now hesitant that I will even get the tort. She probably told her kid she was going to sell him so he probably threw a fit and decided to keep him.
I hate the idea of him being in a 10gal SO BAD.
And she still has ad up.
For your viewing pleasure:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pet/3565916979.html

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Don't lose faith. Perhaps something has come up in her real life that she has to deal with first.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Don't lose faith. Perhaps something has come up in her real life that she has to deal with first.

I hope that's all, I will be very angry if she doesn't reply at all. It's been over 24 hours since the first unanswered email.

My hopes are so high for this tort, I hate the idea of not getting him.
I have a question in regard to my offer after gas and bartering has been added, do you think she could've been offended by my 90 offer? That is still no reason to reply. Just tell me if I'm lowballing you but give your counteroffer to me.

She is making it feel like SHE is doing ME a favor by selling the tort. I'm really agitated.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Don't give up, I don't believe that you are low balling at all..how many emails have you sent? Also, if you live in Oklahoma. Isn't it windy out that way? I would be very careful with putting a small sullie out in 70 degree weather with winds. Make sure you invest in a temp. Gun....

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
were you able to get the tort?
i notice the ad has been deleted

StellaRT

5 Year Member
No I don't have the tort still.
I noticed the ad was deleted also, but still no replies at all. I think its common courtesy for someone to let someone know when plans change after conversing with them. I wish I could have helped the little guy but his owner obviously doesn't care about getting him into a better situation.

I am stuck now on getting a sulcata! I found a breeder in Arkansas that had temp sexed babies, 80g and 2.5 to 2.75 inches. I will be near that way this weekend so I am going to try to arrange a pickup. I am so excited!
Hatch date is december 18, should I get a make or female? I saw pics of a male and a female and they are gorgeous.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
StellaRT said:
No I don't have the tort still.
I noticed the ad was deleted also, but still no replies at all. I think its common courtesy for someone to let someone know when plans change after conversing with them. I wish I could have helped the little guy but his owner obviously doesn't care about getting him into a better situation.

I am stuck now on getting a sulcata! I found a breeder in Arkansas that had temp sexed babies, 80g and 2.5 to 2.75 inches. I will be near that way this weekend so I am going to try to arrange a pickup. I am so excited!
Hatch date is december 18, should I get a make or female? I saw pics of a male and a female and they are gorgeous.

Do you mind me asking what part of Arkansas I didn't know there was a breeder........or if there was an ad where I could possibly look to find out....in case I get my wish and get more babies in the future wouldn't have to have em shipped if these are raised in the proper conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.