Advice on buying large tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I have a Leopard as well. They are beautiful and a great choice.

C

Claireabbo

although lepoards are really colorful and pretty. sulcatas are amazing too! :D i personally think that sulcatas are amazing and very pretty also :) but sulcatas are tanks. they will go through just about anything! haha and leopards are more calm and have somewhat ofa better personality. so its just up to you to decide. oh and if your concerned about price. sulcatas go very cheap. there is a sulcata auction ending today. you might be able to get a good deal. so hurry! :D it ends tonight. not sure what time but check it out! :D hope i helped! :D

Nm767

5 Year Member
The place by my house sells sulcata babies for 125 and leopard babies fir 145. I'm still trying to decide. Definitely want to start with a baby though. Also looking at good designs fir building a enclosure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Nm767 said:
The place by my house sells sulcata babies for 125 and leopard babies fir 145. I'm still trying to decide. Definitely want to start with a baby though. Also looking at good designs fir building a enclosure.

This seems kinda high, you should try to go to a show or talk to a breeder directly. I prefer Sulcatas but I have a couple Leopards and they're nice as well and might work out better for you.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I love my leopard babies and glad I made the choice to go with leopards. Although sulcatas are great, they reach a size is that is not easy to handle and can do a number on your yard. Hatchlings are very fragile and not easy for a new tort owner. I suggest you go with one at least 5=6 months. Will be more expensive, but they should be well established, eating well, etc. There are experienced leopard breeders here on the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nick:

You can usually find sulcata hatchlings for around $50 and baby leopards (babcock) for around $100. Often times they are a bit cheaper at reptile events rather than at pet stores. You just missed one in Sacramento last week-end. Take a look through this list and see if there are any coming up in Northern Calif:

http://www.kingsnake.com/events.php

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jaizei said:
Nm767 said:

This seems kinda high, you should try to go to a show or talk to a breeder directly. I prefer Sulcatas but I have a couple Leopards and they're nice as well and might work out better for you.

Yeah, I see sullies at shows for $40 and up, leopards for $75 or so.

Nm767

5 Year Member
I'm gonna concentrate on getting the equipment for now and building a table and a outdoor enclosure.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jaizei said:
Nm767 said:

Buying locally may be a better buy if they are healthy and well established. Shipping in the lower states will cost you about $40-$50.

Nm767

5 Year Member
My buddy who has all kinds of reptiles says there's a show at the end of October in Sacramento. I'll prob wait and look there. Gives me plenty of time to research and get stuff ready.

Nm767

5 Year Member
Anyone have any sulcata or leopard enclosures around Lodi california they'd like to dhow off?

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Nm767 said:
Anyone have any sulcata or leopard enclosures around Lodi california they'd like to dhow off?

To be honest I don't have that great of an enclosure right now. It's only 45 gallons and I am going to wait till spring to build an enclosure outside then I will upgrade my indoors one later. Just look at the enclosure section or search leopard or sulcata enclosure pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.