Advice on buying large tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nm767

5 Year Member
Ok guys Im probably looking for the same advice as many others. I want to get a large tortoise that can eventually roam my yard but need help deciding on what kind.

First I live in northern California, Lodi to be exact. It gets hot here but also cold at night. I've have lots of turtles n the past but mostly aquatic. I did have a box turtle (pokey) when I was a teen but it died. It actually got electrocuted when our house was struck by lightning. Was horrible.

I have been looking and really like the socatas and the leopards. Other than the size is their any major differences between the two. I don't mean color I mean huge differences in habitat or care?

I plan to buil an enclosure in my backyard and also a smaller pen in the garage while it's small.

I do have a dog but my dog is afraid of everything. None the less I will keep them separate. No small kids.

I'm Excited about having a life long friend but I want to get that right kind so that is best for tortoise.

Any suggestions or advice?

Nick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nick:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Sulcatas and leopards take the same care. The only real difference is that sulcatas are bulldozers and leopards are a little more refined. You have to keep both species warm during the winter, and its harder to keep a 100+lb sulcata contained than it is a leopard tortoise.

Nm767

5 Year Member
Do you have pics of yours? What I gigot to mention is the only possible snag. I gotta convince the fiancé to give me some of the backyard. Luckily she loves animals. But I have been banned from anymore inside. I have a salt water fish tank. And a Oscar tank.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
5549390736_a721900037_z.jpg
here is one of my torts! he is about 95 pounds. not sure about the scl! i do not think he is done growing either.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
It matters how big your yard is and if your able to move something 120 pounds 20 years from now.

Nm767

5 Year Member
I have a decent sized yard but I plan to keep it in it's own fenced off area so the dog isn't near it. I'm sure I can manage on getting it moved when need be.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nm767 said:
Do you have pics of yours? What I gigot to mention is the only possible snag. I gotta convince the fiancé to give me some of the backyard. Luckily she loves animals. But I have been banned from anymore inside. I have a salt water fish tank. And a Oscar tank.

Just sorta clarifying, your girlfriend needs to give up part of her yard. Does she spend a lot of time out there? Take pride in it? Grow things out there? Have you saw what a sulcata can do to a yard and a fence?

Are you thinking of starting with an adult or growing it up yourself?

The finial question is... why do you want a large tortoise?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Nm767 said:
I have a decent sized yard but I plan to keep it in it's own fenced off area so the dog isn't near it. I'm sure I can manage on getting it moved when need be.

OTOH, a male sulcata can get up to 200+# and do a great deal of damage to your fence, foundation, etc., etc., etc...they really are like bulldozers that crap like cattle!

A leopard tortoise is generally a better choice than a sulcata for most folks, and considering where you live, a European tortoise would be something to seriously consider keeping, as they do a bit better in cooler climes, like N. Carolina...

Just things to consider and discuss w/ the lady.

Nm767

5 Year Member
She only grows grass and weeds in the back but loves to garden so not sure of her future plans if any. I've seen pics of the burrows they dig. Do both leos and sacotas dig about the same?

Nm767

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Nm767 said:

OTOH, a male sulcata can get up to 200+# and do a great deal of damage to your fence, foundation, etc., etc., etc...they really are like bulldozers that crap like cattle!

A leopard tortoise is generally a better choice than a sulcata for most folks, and considering where you live, a European tortoise would be something to seriously consider keeping, as they do a bit better in cooler climes, like N. Carolina...

Just things to consider and discuss w/ the lady.

I live in northern California not Carolina. Were not set at all on a socata just one option. Less damage to the yard Is def a plus in her book.

I've always wanted a large tortoise because I like That I'll have it forever if things go right. I also like That it's more like a friend than a little pet.

M

Maggie Cummings

BTW...It's SULCATA pronounced Sul ca ta.

Unless you have raised a Sulcata from a hatchling you have no idea just how strong they are and just what kind of specific care they require. They can blow thru sheetrock in a heart beat. They need to be kept warm in the winter and as an example I have spent over $3000 on Bob's shed and the supplies needed to protect him in the winter. I am always leery when a newbie comes on looking for a large tort when they don't have any experience in keeping tortoises or a large reptile like that. It's sort of like someone who wants a pitbull. Keeping a large Sulcata is not easy and there are so many things involved that I don't know where to start. So I suggest if you want a large tort then get a hatchling Sulcata and earn your way. Learn how to keep a tortoise and bond with your guy thru the years and earn your large tort. I suggest that if you just get a big tortoise that he will be gone or dead in 2 months. You need to learn about them and how to keep them, and earn your keep so to speak...I mean no disrespect...I just want to protect the tort...that's all. And yes, I have a Sulcata who is over 100 pounds, and I have earned every inch of him...Just do a Bob search then see if you're ready for all that...in fact take this challenge too and see if you are really up to keeping Sulcata...

http://turtlerescues.com/sulcata_challenge.htm

Plus...your girlfriend complains about your keeping Oscars...I am so laughing. There's no way she's going to let you keep a large Sulcata..an eating crapping machine...

Nm767

5 Year Member
Well I've had many reptiles including iguanas and diff types of turtles. I've only had one land turtle a common box turtle. I want to start with a baby and raise him up. I may have misled everyone I don't want to buy a adult one. I'm looking forward to starting with a baby.

Everyone's new at first

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, everyone is new at first. I took your post/thread to read that you wanted a large tortoise and that's how I responded. Do a Bob search and read up on the trials I've had with Bob. Take the Sulcata challenge and then make a decision and see if you want a Sulcata or not. Maybe a Leopard will be more what you want...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Seriously, we're all just trying to save you (and some tortoise) a lot of unpleasentness/trouble...if you start your tortoise keeping experience with a tortoise of a size that will not be such a problem, you'll enjoy it all the more (and your fiancee will enjoy it, as well)...I mentioned earlier the European tortoise species (Hermann's, Greek, Russian, etc.)...my 4 currently live in an enclosure that measures about 8'(L) X 5'(W) X 3'(H) and that's not really large enough for 4, so I'm tearing that one down and building a larger enclosure this winter (while they're living inside) of 24' X 16' X 3', which will accomodate them (and their progeny) much better. There are other species, as well, to consider, but I'll just use my Hermann's torts as an example. Keep in mind that these are tortoises that will never weigh much more than 5# per, and will top out around 8-9" in length...tortoises are happiest/healthiest in roomy accomodations.

For a single sulcata, otoh, plan on, once it outgrows it's tortoise table (at about 2 yoa), an area of minimally 100' X 60' X 5' (might as well build the enclosure once and do it right!)...you can go a little smaller, but then you'll have 2x as much work to keep it clean, 'cause sulcatas really do crap a lot, every single day, and most sulcata owners eventually invest in a wheelbarrow!

Leopards might be a good compromise, size-wise, (18-inch and weighing 40#, on average, but exceptional examples reach 3-1/2'+ and 120#) but they rarely have as much interactive personality as a sulcata, being often a very shy animal all it's life, with similar needs and diet to a sulcata, but nowhere nearly the digging instict!

If you want a tortoise that'll come running to you on sight, again, I can't recommend a Hermann's enough, btw! Every bit as personable as a sulcata in a much handier size! And, a single European, again, does fine in a space of 8' X 5' X 3', an area size that won't likely give your fiancee as many misgivings!

Anyway, give your decision a great deal of thought...and welcome to our little slice of heaven. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome. this is the best place to learn the reality of them before you buy...
so READ READ and READ some more! :) If you can. go visit others how have them. see what their set ups are like and see if you can do somthing similar. I would look into rescue and not buying... hatchlings are heartbreakers.. or can be... if you get one that is already a few years old, you will still have him for Many years, it can go outside right away, they arent dogs, so they bonding isnt the same... but they do get to know you are the food god and will become very friendly.
Some can become very destructive and dig.. others do not. if you provide them with a house and protection that they like.. they tend not to dig. usually... I have 4. The two largest ones are in an area about 60x100. they have a heated house that they share, but they dont spend the day close together... they need the space to avoid one a nother..

Rescues are the way to go.. in My opinion:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-September-2011-Tortoise-Roundup#axzz1Yc0x3v4c

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
I agree with Laura. Rescues can be found in many ages and sizes. Not only will you be adopting a new little buddy, but you'll have the satisfaction of helping out a tort in need. Turtle Rescue of Long Island is a great place to look. Yes, there is an adoption application, but the answer to each question will also help you to determine whether or not you're ready for the responsibility of the particular type of tort you want. That was my experience, anyway.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Sulcatas seem to be the easiest to find in rescues, due to so many being bought when they're about the size of a walnut and cute as a button...and later disposed of when the buyer realizes how big a responsibility a sulcata will be...I find the same problem with Burmese pythons (people buy 'em when they're 20" long and cute, dump 'em when they're 7'+ and start looking scary - I'm involved w/ python rescue, and at any given moment am baby-siiting a dozen or more, some as long as 15' or longer...and not always tame anymore).

Same problem with large dog breeds (which is why I have 4 Great Danes - not that I'm complaing, as Danes are, far and away, my favorite breed. :))

It'd be best if folks really researched thoroughly their potential pet before they buy 'em, obviously.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Have you thought about getting a Sulcata from a rescue? You can usually find Sulcatas of different sizes that need a good home. I have 2 and everyone has given good advise. They grow super fast and can cost a lot to take care of them properly. If you start with a hatchling, please do lots of research on care before you get it because some things can't be undone and can have life long consequences for the tortoise. TFO is a great place to learn and grow a healthy tort :) Welcome.

Nm767

5 Year Member
I haven't decided on a sulcata. I'm actually leaning more towards a leopard because I like the colors better. I'm just looking at others to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.