advice please on getting new family member

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
I'm going to my first reptile show on the 15th. I am not sure what I am going to get if anything. I so love russians. I want only a captive bred. I am not opposed to other torts in the testudo family. I know some questions to ask: dry or wet start, hatch date, what they are eating, substrate, humidity, temps
I know to look for bright eyes and a healthy shell.
I don't know what age is best for me. I am home 24/7. I take advice very well. I will do what you wise ones tell me. I have almost 3 weeks to make things perfect. Thanks guys.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
you want a hatchling that has a wet start, commonly hatchling are kept dry and they get hatchling failure syndrome this is when the torts kidneys stop working properly from dehydration. different variety of weeds and broad-leafed plants. coco coir is a good substrate for testudo species. high humidity and moist substrate is the best, humidity is fine around 70%+. basking spot at around 90+ and cool side at 75ish.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Observe them, ask all the questions you mentioned and don't be so set on getting one this time, or you will forgive all the bad they might be doing and bye it anyway. Good luck, hope you find a great person to bye from and are able to add a healthy shelled family member.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Observe them, ask all the questions you mentioned and don't be so set on getting one this time, or you will forgive all the bad they might be doing and bye it anyway. Good luck, hope you find a great person to bye from and are able to add a healthy shelled family member.
I won't just buy one. Once bitten twice shy. The people my not like my questions but oh well. And if I don't like the answers I walk away.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Please buy only one to start with. Most species do not do well unless they are alone. We've written a lot
on this subject. Get some experience with the first one and then see later if you want to get into breeding or if you have space for more habitats.

They are addicting and utterly charming. Just remember that each individual may need its own habitat indoors and out as well as lamps, etc.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I won't just buy one. Once bitten twice shy. The people my not like my questions but oh well. And if I don't like the answers I walk away.
I am also hoping that your sentence means that you will not go out and impulse buy a tortoise. rather than meaning you are going to get more than one.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Just one. I just don't know what age I should get
A lot of people really want babies because they're adorable. They are also more delicate and less forgiving of suboptimal care, as well as more expensive. Look for a healthy strong animal. They're not like puppies with a window for bonding, and even an adult will live for a very long time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have several really good breeders right here on the forum that start them right. I would not buy one at a show personally, unless I knew the history and really knew and trusted the seller.

If your set up is done well and your temperature and conditions are correct, you should have no problem with a russian baby. Older CB ones are seldom offered for sale, but it can't hurt to look.

Have you considered hermanni too? Great personalities and very pretty too. You know I love russians, but hermanni are gorgeous.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So where is the best place to get a captive bred , older tort?
A male adult Russian should be relatively easy to find. Even a captive bred one. I agree that an adult would be a good choice. Hatchlings are very fragile. Because they are aggressive and usually people keep Russians in a group of a 1 to 3 ratio mail to females. i've only been to one reptile show so I'm probably not much of a help on that. At that show however, there were many Russians for sale/adoption from rescue groups. and more than half of them were male. But maybe there will be some vendors selling captive bred Russians. You should be able to find a vendors list on the website for the show. you may be able to contact the people even before The show. Also check here on the forum, I know there are several Russian breeders here and they may have an adult available.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
We have several really good breeders right here on the forum that start them right. I would not buy one at a show personally, unless I knew the history and really knew and trusted the seller.

If your set up is done well and your temperature and conditions are correct, you should have no problem with a russian baby. Older CB ones are seldom offered for sale, but it can't hurt to look.

Have you considered hermanni too? Great personalities and very pretty too. You know I love russians, but hermanni are gorgeous.
Thought about Hermann also. I'm so conflicted. I know the breeders on here start them right. I can't do wild caught again. :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
A male adult Russian should be relatively easy to find. Even a captive bred one. I agree that an adult would be a good choice. Hatchlings are very fragile. Because they are aggressive and usually people keep Russians in a group of a 1 to 3 ratio mail to females. i've only been to one reptile show so I'm probably not much of a help on that. At that show however, there were many Russians for sale/adoption from rescue groups. and more than half of them were male. But maybe there will be some vendors selling captive bred Russians. You should be able to find a vendors list on the website for the show. you may be able to contact the people even before The show. Also check here on the forum, I know there are several Russian breeders here and they may have an adult available.
I will see if I can find the vendor list ty

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
There are some baby Russians for sale from breeders here on the forum in the for sale section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have first hand experience with babies from @Carol S and @kanalomele . I bought 6 russian hatchlings from each of them and there is nothing about either transaction or the babies that could be more perfect. I wanted to buy from @biochemnerd808 too, but she did not have babies available at the time I was buying. I still highly recommend her. We have other excellent members producing them too, but I've discussed baby starting techniques with these three ladies extensively and I know they do everything as well or better than I would do. I don't know how our other members are starting them, because I never got that far into the buying process with them.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I have first hand experience with babies from @Carol S and @kanalomele . I bought 6 russian hatchlings from each of them and there is nothing about either transaction or the babies that could be more perfect. I wanted to buy from @biochemnerd808 too, but she did not have babies available at the time I was buying. I still highly recommend her. We have other excellent members producing them too, but I've discussed baby starting techniques with these three ladies extensively and I know they do everything as well or better than I would do. I don't know how our other members are starting them, because I never got that far into the buying process with them.
thank you :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
im going to wait if I get one from a breeder. i don't want to have something this special mailed with the so unpredictable weather. I just saw a pic of one of @Carol S babies. OMG adorable. I also want to wait until I have a good crop of food going. It is hard to find food right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also want to wait until I have a good crop of food going. It is hard to find food right now.

What a foreign concept... Weed season is in full swing here right now. I just walked around and cut six full five gallon buckets of food and spread it around all my tortoise pens. There is lots to eat in their enclosures, but if I feed them the stuff from outside their pens, it will give the weeds inside the pens a break for the day. And we are just getting started. I have more food than I know what to do with right now. When I have trouble is in summer. Everything dries up and dies. At that time of year I switch to feeding lots of cactus, mulberry leaves, yard grass, flowers and stuff from my garden beds that I irrigate and grow on purpose.

Anyhow, Carol is awesome. Her and her husband are both fantastic human beings and I'm glad I got to meet them. All of Carol's tortoises are very well cared for and fed an excellent diet. They have large interesting pens with lots of plants and cover. I got the tour and was very impressed. It will be worth the wait for one of her babies if that is what you decide to do.