advice please on getting new family member

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
What a foreign concept... Weed season is in full swing here right now. I just walked around and cut six full five gallon buckets of food and spread it around all my tortoise pens. There is lots to eat in their enclosures, but if I feed them the stuff from outside their pens, it will give the weeds inside the pens a break for the day. And we are just getting started. I have more food than I know what to do with right now. When I have trouble is in summer. Everything dries up and dies. At that time of year I switch to feeding lots of cactus, mulberry leaves, yard grass, flowers and stuff from my garden beds that I irrigate and grow on purpose.

Anyhow, Carol is awesome. Her and her husband are both fantastic human beings and I'm glad I got to meet them. All of Carol's tortoises are very well cared for and fed an excellent diet. They have large interesting pens with lots of plants and cover. I got the tour and was very impressed. It will be worth the wait for one of her babies if that is what you decide to do.
our weather today was crappy. i might try to contact her soon and see what I need to buy to make things perfect. I am afraid of girl reptiles because of eggs lol. And I know that with a baby you really don't know the sex.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most female tortoises won't lay eggs if there is no male present. There are exceptions, but you generally don't have to worry about it.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I am ordering stuff tomorrow: che , moss, coco choir, a hydrometer, temp gun.
I already have: mvp , ceramic bulb holders, hides, terra cotta dishes, plants , flat rocks, slate tiles ,seedlings.
What I don't have and won't get : coil bulbs, flip hazard dishes, sand

Still building the enclosure.
Ideas welcome if I forgot anything.thanks

Last edited:

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Should I wait on getting a che until I decide if I will be getting a baby. Nighttime temps are around 72 . With no heating

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I wait on getting a che until I decide if I will be getting a baby. Nighttime temps are around 72 . With no heating

I think 72 is fine for a russian baby over night, as long as they can warm up the next day.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I have first hand experience with babies from @Carol S and @kanalomele . I bought 6 russian hatchlings from each of them and there is nothing about either transaction or the babies that could be more perfect. I wanted to buy from @biochemnerd808 too, but she did not have babies available at the time I was buying. I still highly recommend her. We have other excellent members producing them too, but I've discussed baby starting techniques with these three ladies extensively and I know they do everything as well or better than I would do. I don't know how our other members are starting them, because I never got that far into the buying process with them.

Thank you Tom!