Help! Please help me identify my tortoise!

Samu

Location (City and/or State)
Apple valley, CA
Good afternoon!
I am new to this site and new to owning a tortoise! I bought him at Petsmart 2 days ago. I was told he is a Testudo tortoise, but after doing some research it’s hard to pin point exactly what type of Testudo tortoise he is. They didn’t specify his age or anything to me. I am also having a hard time getting her to eat :( it breaks my heart. I know she’s still probably getting adjusted to her new surroundings but it worries me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• E3925343-979D-43EC-A464-ABAE366CE7F8.jpeg
    E3925343-979D-43EC-A464-ABAE366CE7F8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 84709DEA-60C9-4B9E-BCF4-CC930E6BB1B7.jpeg
    84709DEA-60C9-4B9E-BCF4-CC930E6BB1B7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 56EAC66D-4449-4F5B-8FB5-F09A66F5E667.jpeg
    56EAC66D-4449-4F5B-8FB5-F09A66F5E667.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

zovick

10 Year Member!
Good afternoon!
I am new to this site and new to owning a tortoise! I bought him at Petsmart 2 days ago. I was told he is a Testudo tortoise, but after doing some research it’s hard to pin point exactly what type of Testudo tortoise he is. They didn’t specify his age or anything to me. I am also having a hard time getting her to eat :( it breaks my heart. I know she’s still probably getting adjusted to her new surroundings but it worries me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Looks like a Russian Tortoise which are also known as Horsefield's Tortoises.

It always take tortoises some time to get used to new surroundings. Usually they don't eat for a couple days or so after being moved to a new place.

The tank is not really a good idea for that tortoise, nor are the type of water bowl you have or the heat rock. I am sure others will come on and give you more advice on how to properly set up an enclosure for it. @Tom @wellington

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it is a Russian, an adult and needs a 4x8 foot enclosure.
If there is a heat rock it needs to be removed before he burns himself as tortoise warm themselves from above not below and the water dishes need to go before he drowns.
He needs a tube florescent uvb light and a spot or flood light for basking. The basking temps needs to be 95-100. Over all temp 75-80 and night temps can drop in to the 60's.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and Welcome to the Forum!

That's a pretty nice-looking little Russian tortoise. They're very personable and I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment having her with you.

Russian tortoises come from the steppe, where food is few and far between, and because of this they are hard wired to wander great distances looking for food. Even though you have provided food, she's still going to want to wander. This is why such a small tortoise needs a large enclosure. Also, walking aids digestion.

At your earliest convenience you need to be thinking about a safe and secure outdoor enclosure for your new little friend. You have all winter to think about it. They do much better outside than in. And they are great escape artists - good diggers and great climbers!

Thanks for the pictures. It helps us to give you the right information. Here's what I see in your pictures:

- too small aquarium (a larger enclosure will give you more room to have hiding places, plants, and other sight barriers)
- Good type of substrate
- unsafe waterer (Because tortoises have a non-bendable body, anything with a straight up and down side is a danger to them. I like to use a plant pot saucer with sloping sides, and sink it down into the substrate so they don't have to reach with their neck, or climb up and over.
- 100 watt heat emitter - this is good for cool nights, but it needs to be on a thermostat

Do you have a UVB light? Here's the kind that works pretty good:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg You can get this and the fixture to hold it at lightyourreptiles.com

If you can get the tortoise real sunshine for at least 4 or five hours a week, you don't need the UVB light.

Enjoy your tortoise. I sure enjoy mine!

Come back with any questions. We're always here for you.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Good afternoon!
Welcome to the forum. You have a lot of reading to do. We are here to help. Take whatever the pet store told you about tort care or recommended you buy & ignore much of it. You didn't mention what you are trying to feed your tort, but there is a lot of info in the care sheet about good tort food & plenty of discussion threads. Please ask questions. And we do love photos!! Again, welcome!!

Samu

Apple valley, CA
Thank you guys! I bought green leaf and spinach for her. I also have the zoo med pellets from the pet store. They told me that is what they were feeding her when I got her. I just ordered a brand new hide and a new water bowl. Im having trouble finding any 4x8 terrarium. Any suggestions?