Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ur right guys. I’ll cover both areas so she can walk and explore freely.
I already bought all the woods to build the enclosure. So for substrate as u both suggested i will use coco soil but on amazon i found coco soil for reptiles and coco soil for plants (that costs half the price) are they different or just marketing? Can i use whatever deidrated coco fiber right?
I buy the stuff in 10 pound compressed bulk blocks from the garden center. But be careful. Make sure there are no additives, and be sure to get "coco coir" or "coco peat". Do NOT get "coco fiber". It can be confusing with so many different names, but chips, fiber, and coir are all different things. Coco coir and coco peat are the same thing with two different names. But don't get coco peat mixed up with "peat moss" or sphagnum peat moss. Coco peat is ground coconut husk with no stringy fiber. Its not peat at all. Peat is something totally different that is not good for tortoise substrate.

Cicciof

Torino

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK

Cicciof

Torino
That 3rd link is the one you want to go for, the others are fibre far as I can tell🙂
Perfect, i will get it then. what about the lights.
I was thinking about buying the
1) arcadia basking floodlight 75W that should ensure around 34° C
2) the uvb T5 fluorescent tube (but the arcadia one on amazon costs around 84euros....) can u help me find a cheaper but still valid alternative?

i was thinking to not buy forn now the Ceramic heater cuz its summer and i already will have the basking floodlight. what do u think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
2) the uvb T5 fluorescent tube (but the arcadia one on amazon costs around 84euros....) can u help me find a cheaper but still valid alternative?

i was thinking to not buy forn now the Ceramic heater cuz its summer and i already will have the basking floodlight. what do u think?
1. This is a good bulb. Use it in a ceramic based fixture with a large aluminum dome. Adjust the height of the fixture to get the basking temperature around 36C directly under the bulb. To test the temperature, lay a digital thermometer on its back directly under the bulb at tortoise shell height and let it cook there for an our or more. Adjust the fixture height to get the correct temperature.
2. In the summer months, you can get your tortoise outside in a large safe pen for access to sunshine and you won't need any indoor UV. As the weather cools going in to fall, you will need the indoor UV. The Arcadia 12% HO tubes in an Arcadia fixture with a reflector is the safest, most effective, and best way to go. Start saving your money now, so that you can buy that one later. Cheaper options are either less effective, or in some cases potentially dangerous.
3. For your species, you do not need the CHE for night time as long as the enclosure is staying above around 15C, and the tortoise can warm up in the sun or under a basking lamp the next day. If your night time low temperature is dropping below 15C, then you should probably run some night heat.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The zoomed 10.0 HO tube (not the compact one, that is terrible) is the second best option and sometimes cheaper.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK

Sorry for the delay! Hopefully the other responses helped!
That floodlight will work great😊
As Tom said, the Arcadia proT5 kit 12% is definitely the best option and worth the money imo, but the other potentially cheaper alternative is the reptisun 10.0, then buy a t5 reflector fitting separately because it’s just the bulb, the Arcadia comes with everything you need🙂

Again Tom beat me to lol, if your temps are staying around 15c at night, I wouldn’t worry about the che for now, if it does go lower than that though, I would add one.

I’ll attach a pic of that bulb in case you were curious👍

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0