Aerogarden lights safe for sulcata?

FoldintheCheese

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
Hi there,
I'm adopting a sulcata that is small for the moment :D about 5in. I was going to house them indoors while I build out their future home in the yard. I think I have a good plan for its microclimates based on Kamp Kenan, but it occurred to me that I have a 4ft long AeroGarden I was going to start using again that is about the length of the habitat.
I was thinking if I placed them side by side, I could grow some greens and veg that could spill over into the habitat that they can just munch as desired. The lights seem more intense than your average habitat light, though. Would that kind of lighting be safe for sulcatas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The lighting actually recommended is a straight tube fluorescent for uvb.
Incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking
Ceramic heat emitters for any needed added day heat and night heat
80% humidity

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi there,
I'm adopting a sulcata that is small for the moment :D about 5in. I was going to house them indoors while I build out their future home in the yard. I think I have a good plan for its microclimates based on Kamp Kenan, but it occurred to me that I have a 4ft long AeroGarden I was going to start using again that is about the length of the habitat.
I was thinking if I placed them side by side, I could grow some greens and veg that could spill over into the habitat that they can just munch as desired. The lights seem more intense than your average habitat light, though. Would that kind of lighting be safe for sulcatas?
Hi!
Can you link your specific model of AeroGarden lamp? Those I see on their website aren't suitable for tortoise enclosures because of scarse placement of LEDs and presence of colored (red/blue) LEDs. Some grow lights are really good for ambient lightning in the enclosure - the intensity of visible light is still less than morning sunshine.

FoldintheCheese

Austin, TX
How many Sulcatas? Can you post a pic of the enclosure and the light.
I don't have a picture yet, b/c I still have supplies on the way. Starting late next week, I'll be fostering one sulcata for a week or so and adopting one we'll be keeping.
Aerogarden lights will hit those wavelengths, but depending on what you plant, it adjusts. Another user on here was saying redder frequencies are better which can be achieved. BUT* bear in mind, this wouldn't be their dominant source of light. I'm asking if it being adjacent and as additional ambient light, would it be safe.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I don't have a picture yet, b/c I still have supplies on the way. Starting late next week, I'll be fostering one sulcata for a week or so and adopting one we'll be keeping.
Aerogarden lights will hit those wavelengths, but depending on what you plant, it adjusts. Another user on here was saying redder frequencies are better which can be achieved. BUT* bear in mind, this wouldn't be their dominant source of light. I'm asking if it being adjacent and as additional ambient light, would it be safe.
Red and blue LEDs in some cheaper growlights create areas of colored light which messes with tortoises color vision. If it's not the issue with your AeroGarden system, no problem using it.

Just position the lights near the same level as other enclosure lightning (18-20 inches), if you put lights too low they will "shoot" in tortoises eyes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, so this would not have him under the light, just possibly shining into his enclosure from being side by side?
I think as long as the bulb isn't to close to the tortoise, the filtering light from one enclosure to the other should be fine.

FoldintheCheese

Austin, TX
Red and blue LEDs in some cheaper growlights create areas of colored light which messes with tortoises color vision. If it's not the issue with your AeroGarden system, no problem using it.

Just position the lights near the same level as other enclosure lightning (18-20 inches), if you put lights too low they will "shoot" in tortoises eyes.
Good deal! Thanks you guys!