African spur thigh tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneybug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el cajon ca usa
I am so confused I have read that they are the same and that they are not the same so will some one please tell me what the difference between an African spurred tortoise and an African spur thigh tortoise is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually when you're referring to a sulcata it should be an African spurred tortoise. The "thigh" part of the name only goes to the Greek tortoise. When people say African spur thigh tortoise, they are wrong.

mytortET

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne for the clarification. I've often wondered about this too. Happy I stumbled on to this post....

Thanks for asking looneybug! :D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
emysemys said:
Actually when you're referring to a sulcata it should be an African spurred tortoise. The "thigh" part of the name only goes to the Greek tortoise. When people say African spur thigh tortoise, they are wrong.

Who write the rules on common names? If enough people refer to something as such and such, doesn't that name becomes acceptable?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Ok thanks cause ya I was so confused and I knew that it was suppose to be spurred but I couldn't figure out what the spur thigh was

Jaizei: I think its kinda like calling a pitbull a winnie dog they are both dogs but it just doesn't make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.