Age for enclosure change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My redfoots are 1.5 years old and 1 year old. I still have them in a "under the bed"container tubberware enclosure with spaghnum moss substrate.

I tried coconut coir and sand mix, but it got really wet and I was worried about shell rot/fungus/bugs. The moss does pretty well, and they like to burrow in it, but I'm not sure if I should change it or not.

I need to get a bigger enclosure (right now its about 3 ft x 1.5 ft) and was wondering if I should try a wooden (old bookshelf) or just a bigger plastic container. They have great appetites and are healthy in their current enclosure... Its just that they have grown a lot in the last 6 months (ESP the older one) and wondering if I should change substrate when I change enclosures.

Thanks

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Moss is best for holding humidity for Redfoots. I would not change it. I just changed Dale's enclosure to an old bookcase (from a glass enclosure). It is harder to hold the humidity in wood though although he has so much more space now and loving it. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have three 3-yr old yellowfoots that live outside during the summer and inside during the winter. Inside they are in a 55 gallon drum that has been cut in half vertically, and laid on its side. So they have clean substrate at the beginning of winter and they have to live in that the whole winter. I spot clean, but don't change it until the following winter. Outside, they are on the native soil with shade cloth over the enclosure.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Or you could just add on an extension. I can't remember who it was that joined the two plastic boxes by a tube, but I thought that was a great idea. If you did that, you might want to leave the one side with the substrate you have and in the other use something different. That would end up giving more room and a variety of substrate situations, where the tortoises could decide when and for how long it wanted to be in each type.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would brainstorm what will give you the most space for the money, and what may be expandable. Think about investing the money into something large now that part can be blocked off until you need to expand it little by little as they grow. It's not so much a matter of age, but of size. You don't want them growing and the enclosure not increase in size, as you get the shrinking enclosure effect! Coconut coir can also be mixed with the moss. It's up to you and your torts as to what works best. Keep in mind you can cover part of the top of an enclosure to help keep in the humidity. When you expand the enclosure, you'll also need to think about additional heating, cage furnishings, and where to put it in the house. :) Best wishes.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tortoisenerd,
Thank you for the kind reply and great ideas. Does anyone have a link to that extension plan?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sorry I don't know what terms to search for it, or remember who made it. You can either buy two tubs and then go to the plumbing section and get a tube, or literally cut one side off each of the tubs and attach them longitudinally.

Status
Not open for further replies.