Aggressive desert tortoise?

mnr92627

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping everyone can help. I have a desert tortoise which may be 25 years old. We got it from a family which they said they had him for 15 years and the family before them had him for about 10 years. Not really sure just the information I received. He lives and roams our backyard..... We've had him about 3 weeks now. Previous home also had a medium dog.

This past weekend we got a puppy and noticed the tortoise started following the puppy. We have a older/larger dog which he also would follow but she just gets up when he gets close. Well the puppy hasn't learn that yet and the tortoise has bit her foot. No skin was broken but after this happened we watched him more. We notice he bobs his head and lunges at her constantly. We've move him and or her and he literally just goes full speed where ever she is after we separate them.

I was thinking maybe it could be aggression or maybe its mating season and this will end in a few month. Please let me know your thoughts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Desert tortoises are very territorial animals.

Family dogs are probably the single biggest threat to tortoises.

They need to be kept separated. I can almost guarantee that sometime in the next two years that puppy is going to maul that tortoise if you allow it. They should never be left alone and the best possible solution is for each of them to have their own separate areas.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's a male tort and, I am sorry to say, there's no telling whether the aggression will lessen of its own accord. He clearly sees the pup as a challenge.

Dogs and torts do not mix. They should be kept apart. We have far too many posts on here where a tort has been seriously injured by a dog chewing the tort, treating it as a toy or defending itself.

You need to divide your yard so dogs and tort have their own spaces

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your desert tortoise.
I agree with all that's been said above.
Separating them or constant supervision is necessary or it will all end in tears.
Even though at this time it is the tortoise on the aggressive, it means this tortoise is stressed by the dogs presence.
When the dog looses patience or decides to play, you have a real problem.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. For the safety of all please heed the above advice and provide separate areas.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Classic tortojse agression. He will most likely.never stop. Deserts are often hyper aggressive.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you do a search here about dogs you will find some very sad stories about what dogs have done to torts, better safe than sorry and please keep them apart.

My tort has also started to object to me sitting in/on its patch and he will lunge at my legs. feet etc or try to push me away, he's just letting me know it's his territory and he really doesn't need my company. It's quite funny to see but probably stressful for him so I leave him to it.

mnr92627

What would the be the ideal space for him? We do have an area on the side of the house where we can make his area. It's probably 10x20. Which is hopefully large enough. He's about 9 pounds of pure muscle.

At his previous house he just roamed the yard along with the family dog so i didn't think it would be an issue.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What would the be the ideal space for him? We do have an area on the side of the house where we can make his area. It's probably 10x20. Which is hopefully large enough. He's about 9 pounds of pure muscle.

At his previous house he just roamed the yard along with the family dog so i didn't think it would be an issue.
That sounds a good size for him to me, does it get sime sun? Add some plants and hides etc and he'd be safe there.
It all depends on the dogs temperament really, they may be fine usually but how they would react if they were scared by your tort - they can be unpredictable so I wouldn't risk it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I would let the dog have the side of the house as a potty/exercise area, and let the tortoise have the whole yard since he will live there 24/7.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Please take care: as was said, dogs and torts are not 'friends' so as to say.

As for the enclosure, the size seems to be a good one. Just make sure the sun gets there.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would give the tort the larger space, they really like to roam.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No one is saying your dog can't be around your tortoise. If you are there, sure they can be in the yard together. Because you are there to make sure nothing happens. It's the UNSUPERVISED dog and tortoise combo that we advocate against.