Ahhhhh!!!! (Broken beak)

TurtleLover12123

My tortoises bottom beak fell off, I don't know how and I am super worried I can't bring it to the vet I'll send a pic

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm GUESSING that what you've seen is excess beak that was too long. This is what happens when you allow a beak to grow too long - it breaks off. And the break is hardly ever in a good place. This is why it's important to keep a tortoise's beak and nails trimmed.

Waiting to see pictures.

TurtleLover12123

I'm GUESSING that what you've seen is excess beak that was too long. This is what happens when you allow a beak to grow too long - it breaks off. And the break is hardly ever in a good place. This is why it's important to keep a tortoise's beak and nails trimmed.

Waiting to see pictures.

IMG_3049.JPG

TurtleLover12123

I am a new tortoise mom and I didn't know you could trim the beaks and nails of tortoises. Is that something I could do on my own or do I have to get someone to do it for me? What would be the best type of trimmer to use, nail clippers?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
EXCELLENT PICTURE!!!!! Yup, the beak was too long and in the act of biting some food, it broke off wa-a-a-a-ay too far back. This must be very painful for him (Like a fingernail you broke off way below the quick). It will grow back, but it will take a long time. The top beak is way to long too. I wouldn't assume to try this on my own if you've never done it before, as you may clip too far and cause more pain. Schedule a visit with a qualified tortoise vet to trim it for you. That upper beak portion below the eye on the side needs to be cut way back too, besides the long point out in front.

In the wild tortoises keep their beaks and toenails trimmed by biting off their food from hard pieces and by walking great distances over rough ground. When you cut up his food, or feed him soft food, the beak grown out of shape.

Until his bottom beak starts to grow back, you're going to have to feed him bite-sized pieces, because as it is now, he has no 'bite.'

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's what the beak should look like:

Horsfield's%20head%20shutterstock_107472755.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas

Waiting to see pictures.

Hey Ms. Yvonne, what's the best way to do this and when will we know it's the time for a trimming?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The best way is to provide a very large outdoor habitat with dirt plus plants and allow the tortoise to graze and walk on dry ground. This keeps the beak and nails in shape.

Once they've overgrown, you have to trim them and I use toenail nippers, taking off only very small bites at a time.

TurtleLover12123

EXCELLENT PICTURE!!!!! Yup, the beak was too long and in the act of biting some food, it broke off wa-a-a-a-ay too far back. This must be very painful for him (Like a fingernail you broke off way below the quick). It will grow back, but it will take a long time. The top beak is way to long too. I wouldn't assume to try this on my own if you've never done it before, as you may clip too far and cause more pain. Schedule a visit with a qualified tortoise vet to trim it for you. That upper beak portion below the eye on the side needs to be cut way back too, besides the long point out in front.

In the wild tortoises keep their beaks and toenails trimmed by biting off their food from hard pieces and by walking great distances over rough ground. When you cut up his food, or feed him soft food, the beak grown out of shape.

Until his bottom beak starts to grow back, you're going to have to feed him bite-sized pieces, because as it is now, he has no 'bite.'

Thank you so much for all of the excellent info!!!

TurtleLover12123

I will take a pic of my outdoor enclosure Tomorrow and I have it separated because I have to torts and they are different genders and trying to mate, oh and how long do I have to separate the 2, until mating season is over?when does mating season end?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Wow, I literally just freaked out when I saw your picture, but from the sounds of things, your tortoise will be okay. Take Yvonne's advice, she's the best advice-giver out there! :) (And has had lots of experience!)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I will take a pic of my outdoor enclosure Tomorrow and I have it separated because I have to torts and they are different genders and trying to mate, oh and how long do I have to separate the 2, until mating season is over?when does mating season end?

You should never keep them in pairs and then you don't have to worry about the mating issues

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Pairs do not work well together. Bullying and fighting are common. For males, mating season is any time there's a female (or anything else they can use as a girlfriend) around.

They are very territorial and the dominant tortoise will hound the subordinate one to the point where she stops eating and goes into decline. They're not social and don't get lonely.

They need to be kept separately on a permanent basis. If you later decide to breed them, them introduce them to mate and then separate them again immediately.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sooooo they can never be put together again?
That's what permanently means. They shouldn't have been kept as a pair in the first place really.

Groups of 3 or more may succeed in a very large outdoor enclosure (more than 4'x8' for each tortoise), but there are no guarantees.

TurtleLover12123

Yeah I'll get another tortoise house and another indoor enclosure that we put the tortoises in at night