Air Cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Getting new pads not using dirt, Some of the older cactus pads are so tough and large that they are not much good for food and hard to get to root so I just leave them lay around, I have several of last falls cuttings that started growing new pads with no signs of new roots starting to grow, I have been putting them in a pond once a week and letting them soak overnight to see what happens, so far no roots, but more new pads. I also have a lot of opuntia fruit that gets to ripe for some of the tortoises, so last year I planted some of them to see if it would slow the ripening process down so that I would have good treats all winter, It Worked, a large percentage actually rooted, but I didn't get any new growth but those fruit stayed greener and solid instead of turning red and soft, The ones I twisted off did better than the ones I cut off with a knife.Going to twist and plant more this week, if our temps get back to normal like they are supposed to. We had 12 days of 95+ and the last 5 were over a 100, with the humidity it was to hot for me to work outside any length of time. I am posting this in case someone else has super tough pads and a lot of fruit that goes bad before it can be fed, Give it a try.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good to know, thanks.
Kinda funny you posted this though. I just posted earlier about my two cactus pads I had laying in a box on my porch to use as food. All the others I had planted. Well the ones on the porch are growing new pads just as good as the ones I planted in the yard. I don't get fruit. I know all won't get flowers, but are they all suppose to get fruit? Mine are the spineless ones from tortoise supply I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.