air conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Is it ok to have your tortoise enclosure by the air conditioning vent? It is off the ground about 2 feet and is about 1 1/2 feet away from the vent. The temps are 95ish for basking and 80ish for cool end. There are hides on each side. it doesnt seem to be effecting him...???

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
As long as temp and humidity are good,and there is no draft,I don't see anything wrong with it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of tortoise? If it a tortoise that has higher humidity requirement I would just make sure to keep eye on the humidity a bit more as a/c and heaters have a tendency to dry out the air....and if the temps are solid should be aok, in my opinion only .....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A/C can make the air very dry, which is why I use a swamp cooler, but not near my torts, as long as the heat is kept up it should be ok.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
The air conditioning never messed with my heat but it for sure makes it harder for me to maintain humidity. I would just keep an eye on your humidity.

mommytoeandj

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
TurtleTortoise said:
Ok what easy ways besides misting are there to maintain humidity?

We use a watering can to thoroughly soak the substrate on the warm end of the enclosure every few days. That seems to keep it adequate.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Can you close the vent? There are 2 vents in the room my tortoises are and I close the vents every summers.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I closed the vent in the room Boulder sleeps in, however that room is soon going to be converted to a nursery :D so the vent will be opened and Boulders night enclosure will be moved to another room.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Alright I will water/spray the enclosure daily. I am thinking about getting sphagnum moss because the substrate is just coconut coir. Would that be a good idea and if it is should I just spread it on top or mix it up or what?
- thanks!:tort:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I use sphagnum moss around the rock that is under my heat lamp. Because it tends to get very dry on that side. I completely submerge it in water and lay it down where I want it. Then every couple days I dump a pitcher of water on it when it starts to dry out. It does not last forever but is cheap to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.