ALDABRA OR GALOP

IF COST WAS NO ISSUE, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
If the cost was of no issue, which one would you be inclined to choose if you had the choice, aldabra or galop?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Aldabra, of course! Because I know this awesome breeder in Fl.......

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Galaps have always been my favorite...until I discovered how equally enamored I am with sulcatas! I think Galaps are one of more regal-looking reptiles to walk the planet!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Although I love how large the Galop's get I am fascinated by the color and how different the Aldabra are compared to other torts. So my choice would have to be Aldabra.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
If I had to choose only one, it would be Galop. Nothing at all wrong with Aldab's, but I mean come on, its a Galop! Ever since I read about them as a little kid I wanted one. I remember looking at my tiny little boxie and wondering if he'd get close to that big. LOL

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While I like both species and will own both one day, If I had to choose which I assume is the purpose of this poll. I would have to choose a galap, they win but only by a small margin.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Balboa said:
If I had to choose only one, it would be Galop. Nothing at all wrong with Aldab's, but I mean come on, its a Galop! Ever since I read about them as a little kid I wanted one. I remember looking at my tiny little boxie and wondering if he'd get close to that big. LOL

+1 :D

B K

5 Year Member
Going to have to go with the Aldabra because the wife said I can have one.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry Greg....galaps for me. In my experience, just more outgoing (though male aldabras seem so laid back and chill). The saddlebacks would be my pick since some don't get quite as large and they look so cool.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Even if cost were not an issue, size would still keep me from having either. I would like to be able to handle whatever critters I have by myself, without help. So I might take those unlimited funds and apply them to something much smaller and still exotic. Or I might just indulge myself in a whole herd of ornate boxies because I love them so.....

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thanks for all that have participated so far, kinda even up on preferences so far.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I'm new to the tort world but am really enjoying my leopards. I can already imagine the joys of raising one or two of these giants. I'm curious about the outdoor space requirements though.

How much grazing space do they need? I've read a lot that simply says, "the bigger the better" but wonder if an average-ish residential back yard is enough or too small?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
OllieInAZ said:
I'm new to the tort world but am really enjoying my leopards. I can already imagine the joys of raising one or two of these giants. I'm curious about the outdoor space requirements though.

How much grazing space do they need? I've read a lot that simply says, "the bigger the better" but wonder if an average-ish residential back yard is enough or too small?
We have about one acre dedicated to 3.7 aldabras. It works well for our breeding program in Florida.

2n1z1xi.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Greg...this turned out to be a really cool post! I really thought most would go for Galaps by a landslide...but it's really pretty close.

OllieInAZ said:
I'm curious about the outdoor space requirements though.

I know a guy about 100 miles away who keeps a single 250 pound female in a very typical backyard setting...about 1/8 total property size.:tort:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DeanS said:
Greg...this turned out to be a really cool post! I really thought most would go for Galaps by a landslide...but it's really pretty close.

OllieInAZ said:
I'm curious about the outdoor space requirements though.

I know a guy about 100 miles away who keeps a single 250 pound female in a very typical backyard setting...about 1/8 total property size.:tort:

Interesting, I know the Galop and Aldabra are so different. I hardly ever see any Galops for sale and know of only one breeder that is/has producing them. I would think the permit issue for Galops would also be an issue. I was considering starting a Galop breeding program at one time several years ago, just fiqured it would be best to stay with one species and try to perfect it! Not to mention all the work it would be to locate and try to purchase a good colony of Galops, Next to impossible, lol.....

P.S. If your friend's female aldabra is imported and older, please have them contact me if they ever want to sell her, I am a cash buyer. I have always offered a free hatchling to anyone that provides me a lead to any adult and I purchase it. FYI, goes for anyone.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Hard to choose, but I guess a Galop, if I must choose one or the other...it'll never be practical to have either, for me, so it's a moot point.

It'd sure cool to have either living in my yard, though! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.