ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Man, that's a heavy hurting if he fell! Worse yet, if he fell on a female nearby. Yeah, Greg, you need to stop this behavior. Do you think a higher wall will deter Homer? Are others like Cowboy looking on and thinking they can try that?

* Injury of my greatest concern for sure. I am hoping a third board will be tall enough that he can not get leverage to get up and over, going to do one section and see how things go. It will for sure be a very big project and time consuming. Homer is the only one, he is actually has very long legs that contribute to his overall length.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
* Injury of my greatest concern for sure. I am hopping a third board will be tall enough that he can not get leverage to get up and over, going to do one section and see how things go. It will for sure be a very big project and time consuming, LOL! Homer is the only one, he is actually has very long legs that contribute to his overall length.

Wow! Lets hope it works. With sulcatas, once they know they can scale a wall, they'll continue till they wreak havoc. If Homer is anything like sullies, he just may look for another wall to scale, now that he's been doing it. In other words, I don't think he's gonna give up until all the walls are too large for him to scale. Then again, you can always tie a 1000 lbs iron ball and chain on those massive legs :p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Wow! Lets hope it works. With sulcatas, once they know they can scale a wall, they'll continue till they wreak havoc. If Homer is anything like sullies, he just may look for another wall to scale, now that he's been doing it. In other words, I don't think he's gonna give up until all the walls are too large for him to scale. Then again, you can always tie a 1000 lbs iron ball and chain on those massive legs :p

* I think your right. Hopefully another layer will work, if not, what ever it takes! I am negotiating the purchase of another piece of land and have plans on moving my entire program if things work out, therefor i am sorta reserved about getting over extensive on any other options at this time. I am not a band aid kinda guy, however based on all current circumstances this was the best option. My next location will have a six foot CBS wall around the entire perimeter, sorta like Fort Knox, LOL!

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
You could try adding a board - flat like a table with a majority overhanging the tortoise side of the wall. This would prevent the tortoise from walking his legs up and onto the top of the wall. It worked with my sulcatas. Now they don't even try to climb over. Might work with aldabras. I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow when it's light.
Jeff

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
* I think your right. Hopefully another layer will work, if not, what ever it takes! I am negotiating the purchase of another piece of land and have plans on moving my entire program if things work out, therefor i am sorta reserved about getting over extensive on any other options at this time. I am not a band aid kinda guy, however based on all current circumstances this was the best option. My next location will have a six foot CBS wall around the entire perimeter, sorta like Fort Knox, LOL!

Wow, you're gonna need it! I just realized that my sullies from from a line that dig burrows so deep, that their dad escaped (not from the initial hole,) and was found about 35 miles SW of his home. Fortunately, he had an ID tag. Imagine the surprise of it's owners!:eek:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You could try adding a board - flat like a table with a majority overhanging the tortoise side of the wall. This would prevent the tortoise from walking his legs up and onto the top of the wall. It worked with my sulcatas. Now they don't even try to climb over. Might work with aldabras. I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow when it's light.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'd be interested because I'm beginning to have real frightening images of destruction!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jeff

* That is a great idea Jeff, we actually thought of that also. If this next layer of boards still allows Homer to get leverage we will try that for sure. Please post pictures on here, thank you!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Wow, you're gonna need it! I just realized that my sullies from from a line that dig burrows so deep, that their dad escaped (not from the initial hole,) and was found about 35 miles SW of his home. Fortunately, he had an ID tag. Imagine the surprise of it's owners!:eek:

* WOW, 35 miles away, amazing! Escaping use to be one of my greatest concerns!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
* I agree, i am eager to see your design and setup!

Ad soon as I see this design from. Jeff, I'll give you a pic or two of the current backyard which already has two rows of cement blocks. My sullies are not even three years old yet, and I need to make sure they don't have their fathers adventurous personality!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ad soon as I see this design from. Jeff, I'll give you a pic or two of the current backyard which already has two rows of cement blocks. My sullies are not even three years old yet, and I need to make sure they don't have their fathers adventurous personality!

* Great!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, here's hoping the new land purchase goes through for you Greg. Will it allow you to have more land to house more Aldabras, oh and those rads too? I would imagine that another board would work, at least it should. Then again tortoises can sure surprise ya with things they can do. Hoping its all worked out before anyone gets hurt or out.