Almost done… enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
America
I had another Account and which I lost the password to but the story is I had adopted a tortoise who had been mistreated and I had been given wrong information And after multiple trials And errors I think I’ve got almost everything right. I got orchid mulch FINALLY and have a light like @ZEROPILOT suggested on its way. Please tell me anything else i can do! (Rock in the dish to make exit easier) very excited!image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfoot, right? It looks dry. Plants would help with that, but the enclosure is too small to add anything. I can see that you're trying. When you can afford it try to find someplace that sells the Christmas tree storage bin mfg'd by Iris. It's about 4' long and would be an ok size for the size of your tortouse, with plenty of room to add plants. It comes with a lid and you can cut out holes for the light and heat and make it what we call a closed chamber.

America
Redfoot, right? It looks dry. Plants would help with that, but the enclosure is too small to add anything. I can see that you're trying. When you can afford it try to find someplace that sells the Christmas tree storage bin mfg'd by Iris. It's about 4' long and would be an ok size for the size of your tortouse, with plenty of room to add plants. It comes with a lid and you can cut out holes for the light and heat and make it what we call a closed chamber.
It is dry because I had not added moisture to it yet in that photo. The enclosure is a bit bigger than it seems but i will look into a closed chamber. For now ill work on closing the top a bit more. Thanks for the recommendations!

America
You're on the right track. But I'm curious about that Double Dome setup.
What type of bulbs are in there?
One is the CHE for night and the other being UVB for day. Im getting the full covering light you recommended. Also, could you tell me the brand and wattage of light to get and the type of light?

America
Also, forgot to mention, is there a way to cover the vents on the enclosure for maximum humidity or is it optional? What do you recommend i do to create humidity?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One is the CHE for night and the other being UVB for day. Im getting the full covering light you recommended. Also, could you tell me the brand and wattage of light to get and the type of light?
You want a T5 HO UVB 5.0 or 6% strip florescent.
The length will dictate the wattage. So don't go by wattage.
I use REPTISUN. But ARCADIA are said to be superior

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks so much? What about keeping humidity up?
If you close most of the top of your enclosure and make it a "closed chambered enclosure" then add Orchid Bark as the substrate, you can pour some water into the corners every week or so....
The water will give off humidity as it evaporates. And still leave the upper layer of substrate relatively dry.
Still, be prepared to treat shell fungus. Go ahead and get an inexpensive tube of ATHLETES FOOT CREAM to treat it. It's normal to see this while you're getting it all dialed in just right.

Last edited:
America
If you close most of the top of your enclosure and make it a "closed chamberlain then add Orchid Bark as the substrate, you can pour some water into the corners every week or so....
The water will give off humidity as it evaporates. And still leave the upper layer of substrate relatively dry.
Still, be prepared to treat shell fungus. Go ahead and get an inexpensive tube of ATHLETES FOOT CREAM to treat it. It's normal to see this while you're getting it all dialed in just right.
Thanks thats so helpful. So hardly any water? And its wont attract bugs or grow mold? Is there an exact measurement or just an estimate? Sorry alot of questions haha

TaylorTortoise

Abington
@Yvonne G how can you cut out the lid for lights? Like cut out two circles and put chicken wire down on it to prevent from overheating? Im trying to picture what you are talking about for making this homemade chamber enclosure

America
@Yvonne G how can you cut out the lid for lights? Like cut out two circles and put chicken wire down on it to prevent from overheating? Im trying to picture what you are talking about for making this homemade chamber enclosure
Same, i figured i could do that but just cover the vents on my current enclosure. Yvonne is extremely helpful though, and knows what shes talking about, so im sure her idea is good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks thats so helpful. So hardly any water? And its wont attract bugs or grow mold? Is there an exact measurement or just an estimate? Sorry alot of questions haha
Start by adding very little water. Then go from there.
What amount works for you may be different for others

America
Start by adding very little water. Then go from there.
What amount works for you may be different for others
Thanks. Honestly you are the most helpful person ever and im so grateful for your assistance. I wouldnt have anything done right. Im assuming just a little bit of water *in the corners* once a week? About like a tbsp? Or less? Atleast to start..

Gijoux

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks. Honestly you are the most helpful person ever and im so grateful for your assistance. I wouldnt have anything done right. Im assuming just a little bit of water *in the corners* once a week? About like a tbsp? Or less? Atleast to start..
Depending on the size of your enclosure you will need a lot more water. I pour in a half gallon at a time.