ALOE

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
I was wondering why people say Aloe is not toxic to Sullys. There is a yellow substance just under the skin of Aloe, called aloin, that is toxic to humans. Can cause intestinal problems and possible cancer. It's right under the green skin and sits on top of the clear or white gel. Now, I realize what is harmful to one species may not be for another so I would love for someone this clarified this for me.

I am now worried about feeding it to Little Alice. She is doing well at 80 pounds now. When I feed her she sometimes bites into aloe and quickly opens her mouth shakes it away and trys to eat around the aloe. She eats it eventually for the most part. That's what made me google it. I thought maybe she didn't like the skin. Thought I should prepare it differently.

They recommend, for humans, to peal it and soaking it in water a couple of times. On Youtube you can see the water turning yellow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have your answer. Mine have eaten it in the past, but they tend to avoid it, so I don't bother with it.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I was wondering why people say Aloe is not toxic to Sullys. There is a yellow substance just under the skin of Aloe, called aloin, that is toxic to humans. Can cause intestinal problems and possible cancer. It's right under the green skin and sits on top of the clear or white gel. Now, I realize what is harmful to one species may not be for another so I would love for someone this clarified this for me.

I am now worried about feeding it to Little Alice. She is doing well at 80 pounds now. When I feed her she sometimes bites into aloe and quickly opens her mouth shakes it away and trys to eat around the aloe. She eats it eventually for the most part. That's what made me google it. I thought maybe she didn't like the skin. Thought I should prepare it differently.

They recommend, for humans, to peal it and soaking it in water a couple of times. On Youtube you can see the water turning yellow.
Just cause something is Toxic to us doesn’t mean it’s toxic to them. I do feed Aloe but just the jelly part some times it will eat it but I find that many tortoises don’t like it much.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Thanks for all your answers. Sometimes animals have better instincts than us humans. I am going to skin and soak it from now on. I would rather be safe than sorry. Little Alice eats so many different kinds of foods. I love that and want her to keep eating Aloe. I don't pick it up very often. I do it for a treat.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I feed a big stalk of Aloe to our Sully every few weeks, I’m talking a good 1.5 ft stalk. I used to cut the sharper edges off, but lately I just wash it off, chop it up into pretty large sections & feed. These sections/cubes once fed are the first food gobbled up by our Sully. Yes, even before Mazuri.

It is very easy to chop & peel the exterior dark green layer off. Soooo, to each his own. Good luck!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Thanks for all your answers. Sometimes animals have better instincts than us humans. I am going to skin and soak it from now on. I would rather be safe than sorry. Little Alice eats so many different kinds of foods. I love that and want her to keep eating Aloe. I don't pick it up very often. I do it for a treat.
Does she like it? Mines don’t pay attention to it, probably just take one bite they are picky.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I just couldn't let Alice eat this anymore without peeling ad soaking it. It wasn't so bad to peel and soak. I will feed it sparingly. I am hoping about one a week, a little each day
aloe1.jpg

aloe2.jpg

aloe3.jpg

She hasn't tried this peeled yet I have put it in her tray and kicked her out of her hide box. LOL
It is beautiful stuff, just a lot gooey..