Aloha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
Hi there! Just joined the site a little while ago. I've decided on purchasing a couple redfoots next month. In the meantime, my children and I are getting their pen ready.

I'm going with the redfoots as our climate is best suited for them as well as what already grows here. I do, however, have a few questions as to what to put in their pen.

It's outside and was a raised bed for vegetables. I've cleared it out and have a couple ti leaf plants, baby tears, begonias, spider plants, and a zebra plant. I'm just wondering if the common lilikoi (or passion fruit) will be okay. I've read somewhere on the site that the red one is okay for them. I also have a watermelon lilikoi. Are their leaves okay for them to eat as well?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, kamoopsiepooh!

Are we to assume that you are in Hawaii?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aloha and E komo mai :D. Not sure about the plants you are asking about. However, you can possibly find them on thetortoisetable.org or the tortoise library. Others may also be able to help you. Ho'omaika'i 'ana on your future new family members and post pics when you get them. :)

Fordisland

5 Year Member
I read somewhere that Lilikoi vines and flowers have glycosides and recommend avoiding them as food for tortoises. My red foots relish the hibiscus plant and I have the common red variety that has tender leaves. Especially when new leaves are sprouting. The more you prune the more new leaves and flowers will sprout. I would highly recommend to obtain cuttings from well established plants and try to grow your own plants from these cuttings. When gathering cuttings keep them damp with a wet papertowel and when you arrive home dip the ends in rootone and place them in plastic pots with potting soil. Once the plant is established and thriving you can plant them in your yard. You'll appreciate the plants as the tortoises get older and consume larger quantities of hibiscus. Usually the hybrids are known to have tougher leaf structure and if your red foots are juveniles they would need tender leaves. Suggest you incorporate hibiscus plants of the common red variety in your garden. As they get older they will consume a great deal of these plants and flowers in their diets. My neighbor helps out when they trim their plant and throw the cuttings in my yard for the tortoise to consume. Must be careful when friends and neighbors want to help out and make sure they do not spray their gardens. Fortunately this is not the case and it's a win-win situation where the plant rubbish is dispensed by both the tortoises and neighbor with strange lumbering animals. Hope this helps and good luck with your new additions.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
Hey, Fordisland! I take it you're on Oahu? Thanks for all the info. I just bought a hibiscus and was thinking about propagating when it gets bigger. My next door neighbors has hibiscus surrounding their property and they don't spray.

During my googling regarding lilikois, I found this (I think it is from this forum): http://www.tortoiseforum.org/archive/index.php/thread-40658.html. Read the reply at the bottom. It puts me at ease. They grow all over the place over here.

What else do you feed yours that naturally grow in your area? I've got papaya trees and mango trees. I was wondering about planting some ginger in their pen. I read that the whole thing was edible, and whether they like it or not, it would provide some color and shade. Can you post pictures of your pen and redfoot?

Fordisland

5 Year Member
Yes, I reside on Oahu. I also feed my torts Fish pellets, but occasionally. They love water lettuce, and I have a friend that supplies these. Cactus pads are great for them. They will sniff out plants and decide for themselves whether it's edible or not. However, I would suggest you research the plant as a food source. Better safe then sorry. I would not give Mango or Avocado leaves as these are not good for them. Neither ginger nor Ti plants are edible. My larger torts are out and about in the yard so they forage grasses on the lawn. I supplement the hibiscus, which they relish, with seasonal fruits; mangoes, star, bananas, etc., (when available). I'm new to the forum and busy at the moment, but when I find time I'll post some photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.