Always Incubate Eggs!!!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have seen and heard that eggs which have not been laid in a nest never hatch. Or more precisely, eggs laid on the floor. Well today 2 little Sri Lankans hatched out from a female who laid her first clutch scattered all over her outdoor enclosure. A total of 5 eggs were found, 2 were fertile and hatched.

I’ve had numerous other females that have laid clutches on the floor over the years. They have always been infertile, until today. So always throw those eggs in the incubator because you never know if they will hatch.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I think in captive conditions, we shouldn't trust our tortoises to lay their eggs so they will hatch on their own. I will always remember as a child, how my aunts read eared slider would always lay her eggs on her ramp so that they would all fall in the water ;) Also, not to even mention how many of our adult pet turtles and tortoises wouldn't have survived to this age in the wild...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen and heard that eggs which have not been laid in a nest never hatch. Or more precisely, eggs laid on the floor. Well today 2 little Sri Lankans hatched out from a female who laid her first clutch scattered all over her outdoor enclosure. A total of 5 eggs were found, 2 were fertile and hatched.

I’ve had numerous other females that have laid clutches on the floor over the years. They have always been infertile, until today. So always throw those eggs in the incubator because you never know if they will hatch.
What? No pictures of the baby stars??? 💁🏼

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
What? No pictures of the baby stars??? 💁🏼
I just realized I didn’t post any pictures of them.
These are the two baby Sri Lankan stars. Eggs were tiny. These are the smallest stars I’ve ever hatched. 9 and 13 grams.

Attachments

• 58F60273-3BC9-4336-8E8D-18F2EA23BDD2.jpeg
    58F60273-3BC9-4336-8E8D-18F2EA23BDD2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 21CF9DF1-5ADA-45D4-BEF7-5D810216BDBA.jpeg
    21CF9DF1-5ADA-45D4-BEF7-5D810216BDBA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

DoubleD1996!

Memphis

Yeah, and sometimes the veins show up later

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just realized I didn’t post any pictures of them.
These are the two baby Sri Lankan stars. Eggs were tiny. These are the smallest stars I’ve ever hatched. 9 and 13 grams.
Looking good! Best of luck with them.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Too cute. Congratulations