Am I doing this right? (Hermanni set up)

CartoonCarter

Hi, I recently got a Hemanns Tortoise and I was just wondering does this setup look fine? One thing I have noticed is that he doesn't seem to drink from his dish and only seems to drink when there is water in the dirt or on the wall?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 70

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its the water dish you have . Take it back to the pet store . Go to home depot and get a terra cotta plant saucer. Sink it in the substrate . Then you'll see him drink . To tell if everything else is right we need to know your temperatures and humidity levels .

CartoonCarter

Thanks for the info Mike we have got him to drink from a bottle lid til we go and buy a saucer tomorrow. The temperature on the hot end is 100 degrees and the cold is at 70. Won't be able to find out the humidity just til tomorrow.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
Hey there! It looks good except you should hang the light from the top so he gets all the rays of light. Plus, those meal clamps can fall and cause a fire. I hang mine from the ceiling with thin link chain or they make lamp stands you can find at the pet store, which are great

CartoonCarter

Thanks, Stinax. I think I'm going to have to go out tomorrow and look for all these things suggested.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That thermometer you have is not accurate. Buy one of the digital combo, temp and humidity. They have them at Wal-Mart or most home stores.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
The best thermometer you can get is a temp gun. They sell them on ebay for 13$ and they are so much better than anything else you can get. A probe gauge for humidity is still needed though. All you do is point and hold the trigger and you can get the temp of anything.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Looks good, definitely hang the light correctly and get the terra cotta saucer for a water dish instead like you've already been advised. The Hermann's care sheet is at the top of this forum which I wrote for these reasons. Follow it, it's geared directly toward their care specifically. Any questions, feel free to contact me directly through hermannihaven.com or you can PM on here although I usually miss those.