Am I feeding too much?

MattKeith

Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia USA
image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg I remember reading about the "feed them the amount that would fill their head" rule when I got these YBS earlier this year. I have gotten away from that rule nowadays and I noticed that the smaller one named Boom has these bulges at the back legs.

My question is is this normal or is it swollen or is it just a fat turtle? It's really only noticeable when they're verticle, either swimming or being held.

The other turtle (Shaka-Laka) wouldn't let me inspect her but I noticed that she's got them too while swimming. I've just noticed it recently.

I feed them Mazuri Aquatic turtle food everyday in the mornings. They usually get some broccoli, lettuce or some dandelion leaves on the dock but not every day. There's never any food left over.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no advice never kept the species
sorry, took me a bit to get the names though very funny

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My cooters, sliders, and terrapins will get like that when they are in full summer and fall shape. Definitely noticeable when held vertically. Also pronounced like that when full of eggs = but will show that way with just good eating. As long as the legs do not show any signs of swelling, and they are acting normally, I wouldn't worry.

MattKeith

South Georgia USA
no advice never kept the species
sorry, took me a bit to get the names though very funny

Haha thanks! I like original names.

My cooters, sliders, and terrapins will get like that when they are in full summer and fall shape. Definitely noticeable when held vertically. Also pronounced like that when full of eggs = but will show that way with just good eating. As long as the legs do not show any signs of swelling, and they are acting normally, I wouldn't worry.

Cool thanks for the info.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I agree. They are on the thick side, but not a huge worry at this point. You wouldn't want things to continue down this path though. Like during the holidays when my belt gets one notch tighter... At that point, I must take not of that. DOesn't mean I'm suddenly morbidly obese, but it's a start in the wrong direction, haha.

Really healthy, fat in a good way, looking turtles. Nice job.