Am I taking good care of my sulcatas?

madbad

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, Ca
Ok so full disclosure: I only got into the game a month ago when a tort was dumped on me.

The problems I can see:

Enclosure: The older tort is in an enclosure that is far too small even for short term cold weather use. The good news here is that fabricating a proper (though not necessarily pretty) enclosure is possible with out much mechanical or technical know how and at a low cost like, tip a big bookcase on its back and cover it and the lights with a shower curtain or something, I don't know. The hatchling also needs a large closed enclosure as moist as possible ASAP to prevent the same disfigurement as the 6yo. Don't use dirt as a substrate for these enclosure as that would be desiccating, try orchid bark, coco coir, or fine milled cyprus, or even a potting mixture that doesn't have fertilizer (in order of preference.)

Diet: Lettuce is a no no with essentially 0 nutrition which might explain your tort's small size for 6 years (though some torts are just small.) Check the diet info linked.

Hydration: Daily 30-45 minute soaks for both torts. No negotiation here. Be sure to set timers so you don't forget them, and keep that water warm! if you can put your hand in it with out pain it's not going to be dangerous to the tort. This wont replace the need for enclosed chambers or the need to regularly mist the younger one.

Heat: This is major too. your tort cant digest food without heat. So not enough heat= slow starvation. 80F-90F ambient temperatures. a basking spot and a place to hide are all important parts of the tortoise method of regulating its own temperature. and note that 80F is the MINIMUM temp your tort should be forced to tolerate especially at the hatchling stage.

Jaid10

USA
Should I just keep her inside during the winter?

Jaid10

USA
Ok. She has a heat lamp, I had to use it for the younger one for a minute.

Jaid10

USA
Will a laundry bin work for the little one?

Jaid10

USA
Can you send me more pics of your closed chamber? I’d like to do something like that.

Jaid10

USA
How about for the outdoor enclosure? I am using an “upgraded” rabbit hutch.

Jaid10

USA
I only did it temporarily. (For like an hour)

Jaid10

USA
I am going to buy them a uvb in the winter because the bigger one is kept outside during the summer and the younger will be out an hour or two a day.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Will a laundry bin work for the little one?

No. It can’t be anything with holes. If anything, it needs to be the biggest sterilite bin/Rubbermaid bin you can find, preferably 55 gallons or larger.
Have you read the links yet?
My closed chamber is only 2.5x5 feet, but sure, I can get more pictures.IMG_1526163835.475395.jpgIMG_1526163868.054777.jpgIMG_1526163891.299320.jpgIMG_1526163914.308631.jpgIMG_1526163944.297355.jpgIMG_1526163967.303240.jpg

Jaid10

USA
Can someone start a group chat with me, Danielle, mad bad, and cheese, I don’t know how

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I am going to buy them a uvb in the winter because the bigger one is kept outside during the summer and the younger will be out an hour or two a day.

As small as the younger one is, it should only be out 30 minutes- an hour 2-3 times a week. Once it gets a bit bigger, I would go by the rule of 1 hour of sun per inch of shell, 3-5 times a week.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm not joining a group chat. I want any info I give to be visible so others can comment on it if I give bad info.

The care sheets are here for you to read. Please take the time to read them.

I agree. And the info would help other new members with the same questions.

Jaid10

USA
I’ve gtg for a while bye and thank you!