Am I taking good care of my sulcatas?

madbad

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, Ca
Right on! It looks like the hatchling is taking a drink in his second picture! Always good to see them hydrating.

If they were indeed dehydrated you might see some large white cheesey or toothpaste textured excretions as they get hydrated. This would be expected and nothing to worry about unless it was continuing in excessive amounts. Its how they pee(kinda).

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Now that I know you are 11 years old you have my respect for making an effort to care for your pets right!

I think when I was your age I let my turtle spend the night outside without being in an enclosure with a bad outcome!

You are on your way to being an awesome pet owner.
:<3::tort:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I’m following instructions and bathing them for 30-45 minutes.
Make sure you keep the water warm. You will have to add warmer water or have another tub with warm water that you can switch your tortoise to. Then replace the water in the first tub with warmer water when it is time to switch again. Or you can sit the tubs under a heat lamp.

Jaid10

USA
Yeah I’m 11. I wasn’t sure if the website would let me join if I said my real age.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Yeah I’m 11. I wasn’t sure if the website would let me join if I said my real age.
We have several young members. It's great that you have the maturity and compassion to want to do best for your tortoises.

Jaid10

USA
I feel so dumb for never putting in an effort before.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I feel so dumb for never putting in an effort before.

What matters is that you put in the effort. Most people never do, and their tortoises live like that forever. It takes a special kind of person to go through so much trouble for their pets, and it shows just how much you care :)

Jaid10

USA
Thanks for everything. If you wouldn’t have helped I could have done the same thing I am doing now and been a terrible owner. I am going to see if they have a 65 liter bin at Walmart for the 6yo.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
I feel bad for being so terse. You shouldn't feel stupid for seeking knowledge and trying to take better care of your loved ones.

I'll bet your torts are happier already because you took the time to try and learn.

Jaid10

USA
I feel bad for being so terse. You shouldn't feel stupid for seeking knowledge and trying to take better care of your loved ones.

I'll bet your torts are happier already because you took the time to try and learn.
Thanks. It’s ok, I understand.

Jaid10

USA
Thanks for everything. If you wouldn’t have helped I could have done the same thing I am doing now and been a terrible owner. I am going to see if they have a 65 liter bin at Walmart for the 6yo.
Sorry, I just realized 65 liters is only about 17 gallons. I am planning on maybe buying her a 50 gallon storage bin. Does that work?

Oogway the russian tort

You should try to invest in to a larger enclosure those fish tanks wont work out for many reasons. Depending on where you live and the weather you should try to make a outdoor enclosure if not then look at these forums
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/d-i-y-indoor-table-build-gonna-be-a-lot-of-questions.120689/page-2
Or maybe try the good old knock the shelves out from a book shelf or maybe a modified kiddie pool? I don't know as sulcatas get very big and heavy this might not be the ideal pet for you if you cant provide proper space.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Sorry, I just realized 65 liters is only about 17 gallons. I am planning on maybe buying her a 50 gallon storage bin. Does that work?

Big as you can afford lol! Home depot sells large cement mixing tubs too, I also like the pool or bookcase lined with plastic suggestion, but remember that whatever solution you come up with should be able to be covered to keep humidity in.

Good luck!

:tort::<3::tort:

Jaid10

USA
Ok. Thank
Big as you can afford lol! Home depot sells large cement mixing tubs too, I also like the pool or bookcase lined with plastic suggestion, but remember that whatever solution you come up with should be able to be covered to keep humidity in.

Good luck!

:tort::<3::tort:
ok. Thank you I’ll look into those cement mixing tubs. How much do you think they might be?

Jaid10

USA
What if I bought a whole bunch of storage bins and put them together or something? Uh oh you got me thinking and I’m suppose to be asleep