An Amazing Snapping Turtle

This evening I was down in my snake room(I raise garter snakes) when my youngest came down and said Tank was going crazy. She said he was looking for me. I told her I'd be up in awhile and he'd just have to wait. I finished with my snakes and went up to the living room. I quickly laid on the floor and spoke to Tank. He rushed to my end of the tub and pushed up close to my face. I saw in his eyes a worried look and his eyes were more red then normal. I've seen this before when I've been away from him for a length of time. I reached into his tub and patted him on the shell and told him everything was okay. I started to move away but was met with him rushing even closer to me. I stayed for about 15 minutes with him, reassuring him that everything was fine. At the end of that time his eyes where back to normal and he had calmed down. I turned off the lights in the living room and he quickly went to sleep at my end of the tub.
Could it be he missed me? Is it possible he gains some kind comfort from our friendship/relationship? These are the kind of things we see in "higher thinking" animals as a rule. This isn't a feeding response or begging situation.
My favorite response from Tank is when I come up from the basement and he's out looking for me. Once he see me he runs to me and climbs up on my leg, wanting held. He's getting heavy enough that isn't always done so I lay down on the floor with him. He sometimes crawls over my arm with his front legs and then relaxes while I tell him all about what I was doing or what a great turtle he is. It's a remarkable relationship we have. I hope to live another 25 years and hope I can spend much of that time with my buddy.

Tank is in "heat" or "rut". This usually happens in the Spring and Fall. The only difference is this Fall it seems much more intense. Tank has been off food for the last 9 days which has never happened before. To make things worse I moved him into a much larger enclosure and installed a pump and filter. That's a lot of changes on top of being a little "out of his mind". The cool thing during this troubled time for Tank is that his relationship with me hasn't wavered. He still seeks me out for interaction. Here's his new digs.tank digs.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Wow, he was gorgeous even as a baby! I guess some torts and turtles are just different, my sulcata would like to spend all day following me around if she had the chance!

I'm rather surprised & stunned myself how gorgeous this snapper is!! I always that they were not up there on the scale of beauty...those eyes & facial markings are very nice!! That's a real looker!!

That's what I keep telling him. One of the comments I get about him is how clean he is.
I've seen many a snapping turtle that looked more like an algae covered rock. Coated on mud and leeches everywhere.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Looking forward to more videos! I'm surprised how calm Tank is! He is absolutely stunning!!

Looking forward to more videos! I'm surprised how calm Tank is! He is absolutely stunning!!

I plan on doing a video of a typical day with Tank. He's such an amazing turtle. So calm and relaxed and perfectly suited for family life. No signs of stress, unless you don't spend time with him. Interaction is what he wants and most of it isn't food related. He just wants time spent with him.

Tank got some fresh air and sunshine the other day. My youngest went out and spent some time with him. He is such a gentle turtle. This photo make me realize how big Tank is getting. He spent about 5 minutes outside then walked up to the back steps wanting back in the house.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
You sure got an unusual turtle!! You raised him right :) He sure is a family turtle!! I think of the turtle man on TV with the scary snappers then I see yours!! A true beauty you have indeed :) he's so cool!

Thanks.
I'm certainly not trying to create controversy but I wouldn't let that guy anywhere near my turtle. I have issues with him and Animal Planet on their content and the treatment of the animals they film in his show.