An Amazing Snapping Turtle

chazd1984

I would be curious if there was some sort of genetic abnormality in a snapper so docile? Maybe something like an abnormally small abdula oblongata combined with lots of hands on time. It would be wonderful if that were the case because you could try to breed some that way lol. I'm sure its nothing like that though, just a turtle with the right personality given an insane amount of love :)

I would be curious if there was some sort of genetic abnormality in a snapper so docile? Maybe something like an abnormally small abdula oblongata combined with lots of hands on time. It would be wonderful if that were the case because you could try to breed some that way lol. I'm sure its nothing like that though, just a turtle with the right personality given an insane amount of love :)

I think you are right. The time has been well spent.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did he try to bite when he was younger?

Only once. It was a curiosity bite. At 1 pound he smelled my forearm and grabbed it. I had two tiny puncture wounds that didn't bleed. Since that time he's never attempted anything like that. Been bitten 4 other times during feeding. When you're not paying attention to what your doing those things happen. During those bites he released me as soon as he grabbed me. Never drawing any blood or causing injury. The last bite was a few months ago. I had brought his steamed shrimp into his room but before feeding him I had to change his water. Swishing the waste toward the drain he swallowed my pinky finger and latched onto the center of my palm. Rather then pulling away I relaxed my hand and he immediately released me as if he had something gross in his mouth. All I could do was laugh at him. None of these bites were out of anger or defensiveness which is good.
I'm also raising up two hatchlings that were rescued from a busy parking lot. Both those turtles show no signs of being afraid or defensive. Both are curious and outgoing. I'm guessing the were about 3 days old when I received them since they both had their egg-tooth intact.

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
the turtle man guy he saves animals and stuff which is good but i can't watch that show because they way he handles the animals is just horrific.

It's Animal Planet; he "saves" animals that have been staged in the scenarios they appear to find themselves in. In reality, he's exploiting and mishandling animals which he has incredibly little knowledge about (his handling of the few venomous snakes on that show, which have probably already been milked, but still terrify me just how stupid an individual can be) because thats the only way a talentless redneck such as himself could end up on TV.
Animal Planet has gone downhill further and further for years. Now it's just another PETA-inspired, biased source for staged crap about burmese pythons taking over the everglades and mythical monsters. Another source for demonizing and spreading misinformation about exotic animals and their owners. It's quite a shame :/.

It's Animal Planet; he "saves" animals that have been staged in the scenarios they appear to find themselves in. In reality, he's exploiting and mishandling animals which he has incredibly little knowledge about (his handling of the few venomous snakes on that show, which have probably already been milked, but still terrify me just how stupid an individual can be) because thats the only way a talentless redneck such as himself could end up on TV.
Animal Planet has gone downhill further and further for years. Now it's just another PETA-inspired, biased source for staged crap about burmese pythons taking over the everglades and mythical monsters. Another source for demonizing and spreading misinformation about exotic animals and their owners. It's quite a shame :/.

Agreed.

chazd1984

I had quite a bit of experience when I was a kid, there was a pond behind my cousins house that had hatchlings at least 3 years in a row and when they are very small like say a bit bigger than a silver dollar they never even tried to snap at me. As a kid I would keep them for several months and then turn them loose back where I found them. I wouldn't do that now of course but the entire time I had them they never tried to bite maybe I was lucky or maybe its just something they develop later.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well I have two of them got them as hatchlings and both will bite me .

Good news to report. Tank has ended his month long fast. He ate a nice 5oz piece of salmon last night and I finally got a good nights sleep.

Tank is doing well. He went for a job interview a few weeks ago, he got the job for next May 2015. The 4.5 hour round trip also cause him to develop a couple blisters on his front feet. Those quickly turned into something called "bumblefoot" He was prescribed Baytril and long, warm epsom salt baths. He recovery nicely, we are hoping he'll have this issue behind him in a few weeks.