An Amazing Snapping Turtle

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Wow thats really cool....I've only had contact with alligator snappers and they are very aggressive

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'd love to see some videos of this guy! He's very interesting!!

Does he ever get to be in water? Or is he out all the time?

When he was younger he spent a lot of time(48-72 hours a week) out of the water sleeping in his blankets. I think this is what caused a shell deformity. Now that he's older he's been spending most of his time in water and his shell is becoming more normal. I'm not sure it will ever be "normal" but it looks much better then it did. On average he only spends a couple hours a week out of the water now. I believe that their shells are very dependent on the water.

The reason I say it is amazing is I never know snapping turtle can be so tame! ! ! !

It is a blessing! ! ! !

I've heard of others that have had similar results but I don't think it's common by any means. It is a time consuming undertaking. A combination of time and the right turtle. I've thought about getting another hatchlings but have decided Tank is all I need. I will still take in rescue snappers but they are only here until I can relocate them.

Here's Tank sleeping in his blankets under the book case in the living room. He will stay in bed until I get up(6am) and wait for me. Once he sees me he either waits for some up close talk time or he comes right out. If he comes right out it means get him to his water quickly. He's had a few accidents in the 5 years he's been with us but nothing our carpet cleaner or paper towels can't handle. I will say this, a 36 pound snapping turtle can hold a lot of urine. Far more then any mammal and it is very high in ammonia content. Also, snapping turtle feces is like the poop from hell. No wonder he wants out of his water when it's soiled. I use tap water and treat it with Novaqua Plus. Tank's 100 gallon oval tub is fine for awhile but he will need a larger living space. I'll probably go with a Rubbermaid 300 gallon stock tank but will have to modify it so Tank can come and go as he pleases. I will build my own filter system. For now it flush and fill but when Winter arrives in Iowa the days of using the water for the lawn will be gone. I want to keep Tank in the living room so he gets as much exposure to us and guests. Most people that come to the house know of Tank and say hello when they walk in. Tank is always curious about people when they come in. He like to touch them and smell them, sounds strange but that's just the way he is. If a person doesn't want to interact with him that way Tank seems fine with that too.
It's not unusual for a friend to bring people over to the house just to meet Tank. He's a people magnet, where he goes people gather and the photo shoot begins. It's funny to see some of the peoples reaction to the news that he's a snapping turtle. Many times someone will jump back, as if he's going to attack them. So many misconceptions out there about these shy and gentle turtles. Don't get me wrong they do have another side to them but that is usually a defensive response. Most snapping turtles are afraid and become defensive. I've had other snappers that never learn to trust like Tank has. Please be sure to visit Tank's website of follow him on FB. tanktheturtle.com and on FB @ Tank Gilfillan

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is great to see a snapper so friendly. One of the Sonorans we have is like that, follows you around and wants attention. It is weird because one of the things I like about keeping tortoises is that they don't need attention like a cat or dog.

That is great to see a snapper so friendly. One of the Sonorans we have is like that, follows you around and wants attention. It is weird because one of the things I like about keeping tortoises is that they don't need attention like a cat or dog.

It's funny, I have a snapping turtle that doesn't bite and a sulcata that does. The sulcata is fearful and jumpy and the snapper is calm and relaxed.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the current stock tanks thread, there are a lot of good ideas there and probably many more coming up.