An Hour With Monstro (Photo Heavy)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Just a couple of shots of my boy taking in the morning sun...I took these photos from about 30 feet away. Ever since removing that growth...when I get in position to take close ups...he comes up to me...immediately! The gratitude these guys show is AMAZING!

DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0081.JPG

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
So Dean ~ what kind of camera do you have / lens... how do you get so many shots of Handsome-man yawning? I've only been able to catch RV once and it was over pretty quick. I have a Nikon cool pix 8700. Have had it for quite a few years now and still don't know all the bells and whistles. Just figured out how to take multiples of shots, but they still don't come out as gorgeous as your pic's do.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
you know.... WalkingRock has never shown any interest in Pumkin, whole or smashed.... I'll try again this year (after Halloween!) and post His pics. Need current pics of the Big Guy anyhow before Winter sets in!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
you know.... WalkingRock has never shown any interest in Pumkin, whole or smashed.... I'll try again this year (after Halloween!) and post His pics. Need current pics of the Big Guy anyhow before Winter sets in!
Yes! We do! Also...weigh him and throw a tape measure on him! Thanks in advance! ;)

Note: Did you guys ever figure out where you got him (and from whom)?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Yes! We do! Also...weigh him and throw a tape measure on him! Thanks in advance! ;)

Note: Did you guys ever figure out where you got him (and from whom)?

New Stats will also attend new Pics! :cool:

All we know is he is a breeder from California and had a nephew that attended a Montessori school in Davis California in 2000. Cathie said he was a breeder/caretaker for the San Diego Zoo but I have my doubts since he thought it was OK to give a fresh Hatchling (2 days old) to a school teacher with zero experience with Tortoises.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
New Stats will also attend new Pics! :cool:

All we know is he is a breeder from California and had a nephew that attended a Montessori school in Davis California in 2000. Cathie said he was a breeder/caretaker for the San Diego Zoo but I have my doubts since he thought it was OK to give a fresh Hatchling (2 days old) to a school teacher with zero experience with Tortoises.

In all honesty...there were quite a few Keepers at SDZ that lacked any scruples whatsoever! Funny thing...it turns out a lot of Keepers at A LOT of zoos are that way!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I know I've said it before, but that super smooooth carapace is fabulous!
In that second photo, he looks like he's saying "I'm handsome and I KNOW it!!!" :p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I know I've said it before, but that super smooooth carapace is fabulous!
In that second photo, he looks like he's saying "I'm handsome and I KNOW it!!!" :p
He drives me crazy! I'm like a little kid waiting for him to hit 100#...which will be (at least) 5 more years! YEEEEOOOOOOOOOWWWWWCH! ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Maybe on his da
Monstro is a Sudan sulcata?
Not likely. After studying some photos of my friend Tomas' giant sulcata...I have determined that Monstro's mom...BIG M...is from Senegal. BIG M was 36" long SCL and around 185# when I last saw her in 2010. These are the 'other' large sulcata...regularly reaching 200#...but taking much longer than Sudans to get there! The feature that helps the Senegalese sulcatas stand out are their 'polished' looking armor on their front legs...less prehistoric looking than the other species. Monstro's dad is just big! There is nothing about him to indicate any origin specific traits. So, I would say NO...not Sudan...although he already has a higher domed carapace than either parent! When I get home I'll find some pictures of the Senegals...and load em!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
@leopard777 ...below are 2 photos of Monstro's mom...Big M. The last shot is of Tomas with Bill, a 50 year old WC from Senegal and the main attraction at the AFRICAN CHELONIAN INSTITUTE. See how the armor on their front legs is so smooth...not at all 'spur'-like. I don't know if this is a Senegal trait...or have they worn down with age. I haven't seen any youngsters exhibit these...but who knows!

BIG M
hole%20025.jpg 1134638.jpg

Tomas with BILL
02_RAE98TD025-zoomed.jpg