Annam Leaf Turtle Hatchling

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Found a pretty cool baby today. This little guy was in the pond today which use to house the Vietnamese pond turtles. Now it houses Malaysian leaf turtles. I moved the adult Vietnamese ponds into a bigger one. Hoping to find more, nice to see these hatching from the climate outside down in south Texas.
IMG_6376.JPG
IMG_6377.JPG
IMG_6378.JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Cute little thing~~

Congratulation Kelly. Only one hatched? or this is the first of many??

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Nice going Kelly! It's kind of cool that the belly pattern resembles that of scripta elegans.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Nice going Kelly! It's kind of cool that the belly pattern resembles that of scripta elegans.
it is cool indeed. At first i thought it was a sinensis, but i have no adult females, nor are the sinensis housed in this pond or with the annams. Pretty cool little guy. The tail is just excellent.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
This definitely isn't a full annamensis. To be honest, it looks mostly sinensis to me, but maybe a bit darker than your average hatchling. Not much here says annamensis, besides the fact that you have no adult female sinensis...

Really interesting stuff. I love Mauremys. I have started writing a book on them, with my wife, but haven't gotten too far yet. Get me some photos of your adults to be included in the book :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
I keep looking at the photos, and I do just think it is a hybrid annamensis/sinensis. Pretty cool.. There are many, many examples of hybridization within the Mauremys genus.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Really interesting stuff. I love Mauremys. I have started writing a book on them, with my wife, but haven't gotten too far yet. Get me some photos of your adults to be included in the book :)

Stop posting and get crackin' on that book!!!

I only have limited experience with japonica and nigricans, but from what I can tell thus far is that they seem very intelligent.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Stop posting and get crackin' on that book!!!

I only have limited experience with japonica and nigricans, but from what I can tell thus far is that they seem very intelligent.
Hahaha, that's great. You are so right, though. I gotta get my butt in gear!

I have nigricans, Chinese Reeves, Japanese Reeves, japonica, and annamensis. I will write the book on those species, plus mutica and sinensis, and leave out the other four species. Mauremys is a big genus!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Oh yeah, male Reeve's turtles are extremely intelligent---they've figured out how to get laid by girls of all the other Asian turtles that have ever been invented!
On second examination, I tend to agree with Anthony regarding the about neonate. It does look rather hybrid-ish to me too.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Oh yeah, male Reeve's turtles are extremely intelligent---they've figured out how to get laid by girls of all the other Asian turtles that have ever been invented!.
Oh man, that made me laugh!!! It reminded me of back in the mid 80's when I had Freddie (back when I used to name some of them) my lone male Reeves. I was young and dumb and they would be mixed at times. He mounted spotteds, black ponds, sliders......I had an 8 - 9 inch matamata that he was completely intrigued by but never mounted. Ignorant yet funny memories!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Rain forest pets! that's where I saw this pet!
Most excellent. I'll have to give it a look. We only have 1 pair. So additional bloodlines would be most excellent to read up. Hoping to send some offspring to Taipei to introduce into the captive breeding they do over there for them. This species is very endangered.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh man, that made me laugh!!! It reminded me of back in the mid 80's when I had Freddie (back when I used to name some of them) my lone male Reeves. I was young and dumb and they would be mixed at times. He mounted spotteds, black ponds, sliders......I had an 8 - 9 inch matamata that he was completely intrigued by but never mounted. Ignorant yet funny memories!
I'm pretty sure it's just a Mauremys trait. They are horn dogs. The small sinensis mate with each other. The japonica do
The same, and yes the reeves, oh man. I need
To actually Surplus some of our males. Were like 8 or 9 heavy.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I keep looking at the photos, and I do just think it is a hybrid annamensis/sinensis. Pretty cool.. There are many, many examples of hybridization within the Mauremys genus.
It's not possible within my collection though. The sinsenis have never been with the annamensis. The largest male sinensis I have is maybe 4.5" and has been in a Rubbermaid tub inside the greenhouse. The annams have always been in outdoor ponds. NOW, does doesn't mean the prior owner could of had a male sinensis with this female. The backstory on her is she was kept with a guy up north whom passed away, his sister inherited the turtles and posted them for sale. I asked as many questions. But she just didn't know all exactly what was what. She did say the female was kept in a 200 gallon aquarium. She could not recall anything else being with it. But that is pure speculation and hearsay. I have 2 more eggs we will see what happens.

As far as the pond beach this one hatched in, it currently has dendata and one female reeves so she can lay. Males have always been inside a 350 gallon tub. The annams were in this pond months ago before moving them around to a bigger one. Annams are kept with heosemys grandis(unsexed juveniles). Your guess is as good as mine man. It's no way a dendata.