Another Annoying Diet Question

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Ok so our tortoise comes home Tuesday. Installed a 60 watt CHE and 10.0 UVB light and ditched the too hot MVB. My son has decided despite sex s/he name is Skuuuuurt or pronounced skirt. Not sure where everyone is from but skuuuuurt means whoa stop and is something I say too often with teens, lol. So I picked up spring mix and my question is do I remove all the spinach? I think yes because I also got chard, mustard, and collard which are high in oxalates but please tell me.

I also have strawberries, red pepper, mushrooms, and Mazuri and plan on doing fruit or peppers one day with base greens, mushrooms the next with base greens, then Mazuri on rotation with spring mix and other base greens. I have access to papaya, mango, and other fruits but want to keep sugar lowish. I am also growing purslane, two kinds of mustard greens, a spicy and regular lettuce micro greens mix, marigold, endive, arugula, swiss chard, mesclun mix, and turnip greens. I have clover, dandelion, and hosta all over but see like collards, spinach, kale, mustard, and chard these foods should not be the bulk of their diet? However, "spring mix" seems pretty lack luster in calories and calcium/phosphorous ratio.

Many of the threads i search here have error 404 links so please critique away and cat food??? I feed my dogs grain free food and raw but does anyone know for sure because I suspect a ground warm pink would be better than anything processed protein wise is usually highly compromised by the chemicals and heat needed to store it

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
GMAB.
That means "Good Management and Benefits."
Sounds like your tortoise is going to be very well cared!!!
Not so much the spinach.
Good quality dry dog food is fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have had good results with Purina Pro Plan dry cat food (moistened, of course).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species of tortoise are we talking about, and what size?

What type of 10.0 bulb? Long tube or cfl?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Ok so our tortoise comes home Tuesday. Installed a 60 watt CHE and 10.0 UVB light and ditched the too hot MVB. My son has decided despite sex s/he name is Skuuuuurt or pronounced skirt. Not sure where everyone is from but skuuuuurt means whoa stop and is something I say too often with teens, lol. So I picked up spring mix and my question is do I remove all the spinach? I think yes because I also got chard, mustard, and collard which are high in oxalates but please tell me.

I also have strawberries, red pepper, mushrooms, and Mazuri and plan on doing fruit or peppers one day with base greens, mushrooms the next with base greens, then Mazuri on rotation with spring mix and other base greens. I have access to papaya, mango, and other fruits but want to keep sugar lowish. I am also growing purslane, two kinds of mustard greens, a spicy and regular lettuce micro greens mix, marigold, endive, arugula, swiss chard, mesclun mix, and turnip greens. I have clover, dandelion, and hosta all over but see like collards, spinach, kale, mustard, and chard these foods should not be the bulk of their diet? However, "spring mix" seems pretty lack luster in calories and calcium/phosphorous ratio.

Many of the threads i search here have error 404 links so please critique away and cat food??? I feed my dogs grain free food and raw but does anyone know for sure because I suspect a ground warm pink would be better than anything processed protein wise is usually highly compromised by the chemicals and heat needed to store it
You are off to a great start. Did I tell you about "Tortoise Library" and "Turtletary" sites to look up? Those two were my tort-nutrition compass throughout the first year of feeding my RF babies. Also, have you checked out my baby RF feeding thread?