another black rat snake

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
blacksnake6.18.jpg

Apparently this one had been getting a drink this morning. That is a liquid shipping container that holds irrigation water for my garden. The container has the top cut off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
you're such a mean person. Why do you make the poor animal climb such a tall container to get his drink. For pete's sake, put a saucer on the ground for him!!! :p

I'm glad I don't see snakes here. I don't like them at all. And that's a pretty big one.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Question is, how did she know there was water accessible up there? My theory is the water was cooler, it being morning, and she sensed the temperature difference on the outside of the container.
There is also a 150-gallon stock tank with water practically touching this container, but that water is dark, dirty, and funky compared to what's in the big container.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Question is, how did she know there was water accessible up there? My theory is the water was cooler, it being morning, and she sensed the temperature difference on the outside of the container.
There is also a 150-gallon stock tank with water practically touching this container, but that water is dark, dirty, and funky compared to what's in the big container.
They use the Jacobsons organ to sense what is around them, thats why they are always flicking their tongue in and out.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
They use the Jacobsons organ to sense what is around them, thats why they are always flicking their tongue in and out.

Yeah i figured they can sense humidity but this thing is like 4' off the ground. However, the area itself is slightly moister due to shade, small spills, and the gap under the container. She probably sensed the ground moisture then explored around.