Another nuchal scute

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
In the thread titled 'Last of the 2013s' I had a photo of some emerging (cherry-head) red-foots. Well, as they came out of their eggs I discovered that one possessed a nuchal scute--something red-footed tortoises are not supposed to have.
This is the fourth individual hatchling from this year with a nuchal and the first to come out of this particular female. Clearly, it is one of the males that carries the gene for this retro trait.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know I'm changing the subject, but oh my, oh my!!! What pretty babies!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
That is very neat to see.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The one with the scute seems to be less "colorful" for a lack of a better term, is that also true of the other ones?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Jacqui said:
The one with the scute seems to be less "colorful" for a lack of a better term, is that also true of the other ones?

The 'hot' red one on the right is exceptionally colored. The others from the same clutch are more faded looking right now--but this will change in the coming months. I have found that the neonates sired by my orange male are often a faded pink or orange color at hatching. But as they grow this color deepens considerably and usually becomes a nice orange or pink-orange in time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find these little anomalies most interesting. Thanks Carl, and hello by the way. :)

Gorgeous babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.