Another Shell Fungus (?) Issue

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
Hi All. I wanted you experts to take a look at a picture of my hatchling and help me decide if we need to see a vet. When she first emerged, she had the pictured white patch on her shell on her center top scute. This is after a soak and it's normally more solid and chalky looking. Does anyone recognize this as shell rot or anything else? The area is not any softer than the rest of the shell. I thought originally this had something to do with the egg and/or was something that would come off. It has not, however. I scrubbed it lightly tonight and it didn't seem to improve. I'm only asking now because it appears to be spreading to an adjacent scute. Any insight?

Squirt pic.jpg

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That looks like a three toed box turtle. Box turtles don't shed scutes like water turtles do. Any other ideas? @Eric Phillips @cmac3

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That looks like a three toed box turtle. Box turtles don't shed scutes like water turtles do. Any other ideas? @Eric Phillips @cmac3

I can't really tell because I'm looking from my phone.

Couple questions for the OP though. How are you housing him and how low do the lights and heat source hang and what type are you using? Any pets the might've got a hold of him. I've seen a scratches on some shells that have done something similar to what I think I see. I will get on the computer shortly and see if I can see it better.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks all. This is a September hatched three toed boxie. Nothing that I know of harmed her and it seems to be slightly spreading. At first, it was just one scute on top, now there is the white residue on the next scute. I'm happy to relate the housing, but I'll first say that this was present when I found her in my outdoor enclosure in the fall. That is a turtle garden with lots of vegetation and hides. By September most of the grass was gone, but it was generally dry. Now, she's in a rubbermaid with peat moss/coconut coir, one plant, a UV light with occasional heat lamp.

She is active and eating and seems otherwise fine. I'll try to get a picture of her when she's dry. That definitely shows it better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was it looked like a piece of tape had been taken off that spot leaving a bit of the adhesive behind, but then I read your words and you said he hatched with that on the shell.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I have no clue.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for that link. That definitely looks similar. I guess I'll get some Lotrimin and try it. Here is a picture of it dry. My toothbrush took some off, but not all.

Attachments

• Squirt pic 2.jpg
    Squirt pic 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 13

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks for that link. That definitely looks similar. I guess I'll get some Lotrimin and try it. Here is a picture of it dry. My toothbrush took some off, but not all.
Yes that's a better picture. It looks like dry shell rot, sounds like you know how to take care of it

It's weird how straight across it is.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483671293.699068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483671293.699068.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 9