Ant problem question

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
I need to get rid of ants in my back yard where i have my sullys out there. Wht is safe to use wit my sullys out there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a recipe for ant bait that takes a bit of time, but works:

>> 1 teaspoon boric acid (available at any drug store,, $2.99 for 4 oz) 6 tablespoons sugar
>> 2 cups water
>> mix together in a jar till all dissolved,, label and store safely.
>>Soak a few cotton balls with it, then put them in a small, covered plastic >container (margarine or <?>) with a few small openings in it for the ants to >get in, (I also put a brick on top so other curious creatures could not get >in)and then freshen it 1-2 times a week.
>> This is a slow acting 1 percent solution to get them to take some back to
>> the nest and even feed the queen :>
>>after a few weeks changing to a 1/2 percent solution should keep them gone.

and another one:

....bacon grease in a margarine tub which is sunk into the ground level. The ants here can smell animal fat from what seems like a mile away...Around the outside of the margarine tub I place a big circle of boric acid...and cover it with a rock. The ants have to walk through the boric acid to get to the bacon grease, then back through it on the way out. If they get back to the nest carrying it on their legs, it kills whatever it comes into contact with. We have 4or 5 species of ants here...two of which are lethal!

and yet another:

If you can't find Everclear, liquefy orange peels and pour it around the ant hills. You may get fruit flies, but you won't have any trouble with ants!

Ok, ok...last one:

I have a friend that put a circle of diatomaceous earth around her aviaries and
effectively kept the ants out that way. She also uses it to directly attack any hills in the area.

If you're not averse to using actual poison, Amdro is another effective treatment, but it is an actual poison, but safer than others. Both Amdro and Logic are baits that the ants pick up and take into the mound so that the queen eats it. When you mix Amdro with Logic it works really well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mmmm bacon grease.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Also heard that "skin so soft" is a great ant deterrent. I think it was on this forum, either way if you search I think this was covered about 2 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.