Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canyon Lake, TX
What does everyone do to prevent or treat for ants in the outdoor enclosures?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jake said:

I dig a little trench around the hill and fill it with as much poison as I can get in there, then I put a VERY heavy cement brick on the hole. Sometimes I get ants in my hospital pens, which are on the cement carport. I use a product called Orange Guard in those habitats. It says its safe for children and animals, however I don't allow the torts access to it. I change out the substrate and spray the orange Guard in the tub then put new substrate over the Orange Guard. I also spray it all around the outside of the habitats.

Yvonne

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
jake said:

Get the ant baits that come in 2 or 4 in one box. I use beef jerky, just a little small piece, oh before this step, you need to take one of the bait, try to carefully open it, then apply a little of the poison onto the beef jerky, then go and look for the line of the ants nearest to their nest and put the beef jerky on their path, make sure the ants taking the food. The ants are very smart, most of the time they will travel around the ant-bait above, that's why make sure they take the small piece of beef jerky with them to their nest. When the colony shares this food, it will destroy them. This has worked for me all these years around my house. Good luck! and let us know the outcome.

Minh

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i use poison around my pens but no matter what they are going to get in. they wont harm the tortoise they're just after the food but i do kill them when i rarely see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.