Any cool tortoise/reptile stuff in Southern California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I'll give this a shot. :D Taking a trip soon to Southern California. Can anyone recommend any zoo's, sanctuaries, museums, etc...with some good tortoise/reptile stuff?

The San Diego Zoo is on the list...though I've been told their GPP are no longer on display...kind of...well...really bummed about that. That would have been the highlight for me of course.

Any other must see sights?

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Neal said:
I'll give this a shot. :D Taking a trip soon to Southern California soon. Can anyone recommend any zoo's, sanctuaries, museums, etc...with some good tortoise/reptile stuff?

The San Diego Zoo is on the list...though I've been told their GPP are no longer on display...kind of...well...really bummed about that. That would have been the highlight for me of course.

Any other must see sights?

LA Zoo just opened their new reptile building

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My wife really likes those Botanical Garden type places, I think she would enjoy that.

Of course, I'd enjoy a trip to see all your cool torts Yvonne. But, it might be a little too much out of the way for us. We'll see how it goes. :)

MikeCow1 said:
LA Zoo just opened their new reptile building

Cool, we'll check that out then.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Pet Kingdom (pet shop) in San Diego usually has a good selection of tortoises and turtles. Mostly the smaller species, but last time I was there they had leopards, sulcatas, and radiated as well. Not exactly the same thing as a zoo, but it's free to look. I always make sure to drop by there when I'm in town. Just be careful to not step on the rooster.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
JeffG said:
Pet Kingdom (pet shop) in San Diego usually has a good selection of tortoises and turtles. Mostly the smaller species, but last time I was there they had leopards, sulcatas, and radiated as well. Not exactly the same thing as a zoo, but it's free to look. I always make sure to drop by there when I'm in town. Just be careful to not step on the rooster.

Neal .... Jeff is right on the money ! ... I was going to tell you the same thing. It's on Sports arena Blvd. not too far from the zoo . Right across the St. from the Sports Arena.
I'm 3rd generation Diegan' myself and know that city like the back of my hand. You should checkout Sunset Cliffs too! ... ( no herps but simply beautiful) . My parents are still down there ( pops is a scientist at Scripps) I moved to OC , couple years back ...but try and head down as often as possible. You should aso checkout Quail Gardens in Encinitas.....awesome botanical garden , with a few native herps crusing round' the park. ....And of course your always welcome at the Cove' to stop in and say howdy!

JD~:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Pet shops are always fun for us.

I'll check out Pet Kingdom. Toucan Jungle and the famous LLLReptile we'd likely visit too.

Thanks ya'lls.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Neal said:
Pet shops are always fun for us.

I'll check out Pet Kingdom. Toucan Jungle and the famous LLLReptile we'd likely visit too.

Thanks ya'lls.

I've been to all three locations of LLLReptile. If you can't go to all of the places on your list, that would be the one I would skip. There is nothing wrong with the stores, they are just surprisingly small and filled with mostly very common animals. They have such a huge online and reptile show presence that I was shocked at how typical the stores are. Again, not criticizing or bashing them at all, just saying the stores aren't really a "destination" type thing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think I am pretty cool myself.

blackbird

5 Year Member
Coastal San Diego
I'd definitely recommend Pet Kingdom, my mom and I stumbled over them a few weeks ago and I can't believe there's such an awesome locally owned pet store not even ten minutes from me xD They had some really lovely Radiateds- I spent a while watching them have dinner, plus they had a bunch of sliders and soft-shells in the big pond thing in the center of the store. They have good prices on mazuri and repti-cal, and I talked to a really cool chick at the front desk who has a CDT as well and was able to answer a bunch of questions I had about Bogey.

Also, I've heard that the San Diego Turtle & Tortoise Society has monthly meetings in Balboa Park. I've never been to one, but Balboa Park is a cool place to stop and visit.

http://sdturtle.org/calendar.htm

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The San Diego Zoo was a little weak on tortoise and reptile stuff. Most of the reptile area was under construction, so hopefully when they are finished it will be awesome.

I did check out Pet Kingdom, very cool place. They had a few tortoises I had not seen in person before.

Status
Not open for further replies.