Any good ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuma, AZ
I have to write a letter to my landlord explaining why I should be able to keep my tortoise on "his property". I have had her for 2 years with no problem but I guess I missed the fine print of no reptiles in the lease. I truly didn't realize. Any ideas on of where to start or anything good to state/add to this letter would be greatly appreciated.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Maybe suggest he is a service tortoise. LOL Carefully go over the language of the contract, it may say no reptiles at one point, but you might be able to find another section where having a tortoise fits in as an exception. The last apartment I had said no pets at all, but because of some wordplay in another section I was able to keep a dog in my apartment for a good month and a half. ALL contracts have wiggle room, you just need to find it. Also if you sit down and discuss the situation with your landlord they might come around and say the tortoise is okay under certain circumstances.

Also if he is under 4" he is NOT legally a pet and therefor does not fall under that part of a contract.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What kind of tortoise is it? If its small and inside. Just start off with the basics of how it kept and what aspects it would not show as being in any way damaging or could cause any damage. after all A fish tank that sprung a leak could do about 4K worth of damage when a tank with a torotise in it could do what? Spike YOUR electric bill and not his. Just go over basics of everything, even what he eats, what they do. Give him a good understanding of what a tortoise is. Hes probably assuming it has salmonella and it will infect the walls and carpet blah blah blah. common easy stuff in educating him and he probably would understand and allow it. Good luck

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mainey34 said:
Well, for one if you have grass or weeds. They will do the yard work.

Please explain that to my tortoises. :D I have to hand cut grass in ever enclosure, even the one with my two largest sulcata. :D

EKLC

5 Year Member
I would say allowing a silent, fur/allergen-free, non-aggressive, slow moving pet that occupies only a small designated area of the house, if worth not having to find a new tenant

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
mainey34 said:
Well, for one if you have grass or weeds. They will do the yard work.

Please explain that to my tortoises. :D I have to hand cut grass in ever enclosure, even the one with my two largest sulcata. :D

Spoiled, they are just plain spoiled:D

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
EKLC said:
I would say allowing a silent, fur/allergen-free, non-aggressive, slow moving pet that occupies only a small designated area of the house, if worth not having to find a new tenant

I totally agree with this. Sometimes when you explain the situation, its better to add an exception then to find a renter. a tortoise doesnt slither through walls and climb into other tenants laundry baskets.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Still what kind of Tortoise is it?

Endangered Federally Protected Desert Tortoise? If so that should be all you have to say LOL

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Yuma, AZ
No, she's not endangered that I know of. She a tiny sulcata. I do understand she will get BIG but I am not planning on living here that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.