Any Plant People Here?

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Just looking for a little advice on what I should do to let this plant live it’s best life.
When I picked it up the soil was very wet so I left it (been about a week) and now it’s hard as a rock and all racked in the pot and some of the smaller leaves turned yellow. I trimmed the leaves, but should I repot or just add more soil?

Anyone else with their own plant related questions & issues, feel free to use this post :)87329241-EB78-47D3-BB7A-6A690C06F09F.jpegB351F0B9-2694-410C-8F6F-6DC7E5B0A121.jpegDB58FF58-E09C-45A6-8EEC-E7762494DF92.jpegE4B6BD38-223A-4D84-AB1A-0AA9E0188B6B.jpeg3CAA0878-7D23-46BE-8135-AA2CFAB4712C.jpeg00F3828B-33D1-4F29-BC30-23F134BB5453.jpeg

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
You need to wet the soil then add fresh soil put in sunny window...it's a dieffenbachia (dumb cane) it has a toxic milky substance...do NOT feed to animals....
It’s in a sunny window kept away from cats & dogs
I just wasn’t sure what the soil needed, thank you :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
Just looking for a little advice on what I should do to let this plant live it’s best life.
When I picked it up the soil was very wet so I left it (been about a week) and now it’s hard as a rock and all racked in the pot and some of the smaller leaves turned yellow. I trimmed the leaves, but should I repot or just add more soil?

Anyone else with their own plant related questions & issues, feel free to use this post :)View attachment 340018View attachment 340019View attachment 340020View attachment 340021View attachment 340022View attachment 340023
Yellow leaves are often a sign of stress due to water issues. They can be caused by either too much or too little water. Another cause is too much or too little nutrients in the soil. From what you have described, I couldn't say which of those caused the yellowed leaves on your plant, though.

If it were me, I would re-pot the plant with a good quality new potting soil and might also use a pot that is an inch wider than the one it is in now. After doing that, I would keep the soil just slightly damp to the touch on the surface so the plant is not stressed by being either too dry or too wet.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Yellow leaves are often a sign of stress due to water issues. They can be caused by either too much or too little water. Another cause is too much or too little nutrients in the soil. From what you have described, I couldn't say which of those caused the yellowed leaves on your plant, though.

If it were me, I would re-pot the plant with a good quality new potting soil and might also use a pot that is an inch wider than the one it is in now. After doing that, I would keep the soil just slightly damp to the touch on the surface so the plant is not stressed by being either too dry or too wet.

I didn’t want to water it thinking the yellow leaves were caused by overwatering before I purchased it from Walmart. The soil looks like a mess to me, so I will repot it with better soil, thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since the existing soil has a tendency to turn hard, I'd take it out of the pot and knock all the soil off the roots, starting over with GOOD quality potting soil. If you add a bit of rooting compound to the water the first few waterings it will help.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Since the existing soil has a tendency to turn hard, I'd take it out of the pot and knock all the soil off the roots, starting over with GOOD quality potting soil. If you add a bit of rooting compound to the water the first few waterings it will help.
I just moved out to the country and our water here is yellow and turning my hair green, we have a reverse osmosis tap in the kitchen I’ve been using to give the animals and water plants, what/where can I get something to add to the water for my plants?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just moved out to the country and our water here is yellow and turning my hair green, we have a reverse osmosis tap in the kitchen I’ve been using to give the animals and water plants, what/where can I get something to add to the water for my plants?
It sounds like the water there is just like the water at my friend's house outside of Buffalo, NY. Does your water smell like sulfur as well? Theirs did. Just curious.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
It sounds like the water there is just like the water at my friend's house outside of Buffalo, NY. Does your water smell like sulfur as well? Theirs did. Just curious.
It doesn’t have a smell to it, but it leaves a slimy film over your skin that you can’t rinse off. Makes showering very difficult since you never know if you’re actually rinsed clean or not and it’s turned my hair green.
Took me a while to realize something was wrong because it doesn’t look yellow when it’s running from the taps, but my cats kept refusing to drink it and my aquarium had a yellow tint after I filled it.
My fish have all been alive the last 2 months in it despite the colour.
If I fill my bathtub it looks like a giant tub of urine ?
I have to constantly go up and down stairs to get the only clean water in the house to fill pets water bowls and water plants as I live in the top floor

zovick

10 Year Member!
It doesn’t have a smell to it, but it leaves a slimy film over your skin that you can’t rinse off. Makes showering very difficult since you never know if you’re actually rinsed clean or not and it’s turned my hair green.
Took me a while to realize something was wrong because it doesn’t look yellow when it’s running from the taps, but my cats kept refusing to drink it and my aquarium had a yellow tint after I filled it.
My fish have all been alive the last 2 months in it despite the colour.
If I fill my bathtub it looks like a giant tub of urine ?
I have to constantly go up and down stairs to get the only clean water in the house to fill pets water bowls and water plants as I live in the top floor
It sounds lovely. The water near Buffalo had the same effect on my wife's hair when we visited my friend years ago, but the sulfur smell was the worst problem, IMHO.

When I moved to rural GA twenty years ago, I looked at a couple houses which had well water that smelled just like that upstate NY water. Needless to say, I did not buy one of them.

To look at the bright side: at least yours has not got the foul odor and hasn't killed your fish thus far.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
It sounds lovely. The water near Buffalo had the same effect on my wife's hair when we visited my friend years ago, but the sulfur smell was the worst problem, IMHO.

When I moved to rural GA twenty years ago, I looked at a couple houses which had well water that smelled just like that upstate NY water. Needless to say, I did not buy one of them.

To look at the bright side: at least yours has not got the foul odor and hasn't killed your fish thus far.
If it had an odour I would definitely have a problem as I would not be bathing in it. I’m assuming it must have some odour I can’t detect or taste since my cats all refused it for weeks. I’m glad they’re picky so I was able to figure it out sooner and not give the same water to the tortoise as well

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think green hair means copper.

You can get a test kit from a hardware store or Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NVRSTHV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Did they do anything about it? Adding an aeration tank reduces the smell to almost nothing. Honestly, I'd almost choose a sulfur well over one without because I never had any problems with mosquitos/fleas/chiggers as long as I was drinking that water.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada

Did they do anything about it? Adding an aeration tank reduces the smell to almost nothing. Honestly, I'd almost choose a sulfur well over one without because I never had any problems with mosquitos/fleas/chiggers as long as I was drinking that water.
I have a testing kit someone, just still unpacking boxes so I’m sure it’ll show up eventually. I was always under the assumption green hair meant high chlorine. I’ve had to purchase special “swimmers” shampoo the neutralize it

zovick

10 Year Member!

Interesting observation. So you are saying you drank the sulfur-odored water?

My friend's house had a different water supply which was municipal/city water. It was the motel where my wife and I stayed while visiting which had the terrible smelling water. I guess the motel owner didn't care because once someone paid for a room, they were captured (no refunds).

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Interesting observation. So you are saying you drank the sulfur-odored water?

My friend's house had a different water supply which was municipal/city water. It was the motel where my wife and I stayed while visiting which had the terrible smelling water. I guess the motel owner didn't care because once someone paid for a room, they were captured (no refunds).

Yes, but the smell was negligible after the second tank was added.