Anyone ever tried...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi all. For those of you that haven't read my recent introduction, I am a soon to be cherry head mom. My tort, whom I'm naming Sheldon after the Big Bang Theory character, will be arriving in just over a week. I set up his rubbermaid enclosure today, just with sphagnum moss and the CHE and UVB bulbs in order to test out temperatures and humidity to make sure I can get it right before he arrives. I already posted a question about my substrate and humidity, but there was a suggestion that I should make my tub into a closed chamber. I am aware of this approach and will probably be trying it; after all, that's what this test week is all about before he gets here. But reading about closed chambers got me thinking.

I don't know if anyone ever did this when they were a kid in school, but I seem to remember something from science class, though I can't remember what it's called. You would take a cup of salt water and put something above it that would trap the water molecules that evaporated from evaporating into the air and instead the covering or whatever about the cup would have ends that went down over another cup, and then the water molecules that evaporated would travel down into the other cup and you'd have fresh water there. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this kind of approach to a tortoise enclosure. Like an umbrella or something that would trap the water from evaporating and keep in the humidity but still not be completely enclosed. Not really an umbrella but something.

So first, does this make sense to anyone? And second, has anyone ever tried anything like this?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I've done this "experiment" in some class labs before. I don't know about cherry heads? You said. But I know what you mean. The water evaporates, you trap the water vapor, and it condenses, then you collect the water. It makes sense. It leaves the salts behind.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never done or heard of this experiment, however, wouldn't having a lid on your chamber trap the moisture, it condenses on the underside of the lid, then rains back down into the habitat?

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Never heard of that.. I wouldnt get too fancy thoe. I just have plastic wrap over the one side, water collects, forms into droplets and falls back into the enclosure. simple and works great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.